Good Affordable Tubes: EL84 and 12AX7

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by andrewgreen, Dec 21, 2009.

1. andrewgreen

andrewgreen Member

i've got a new vox night train that originally comes with sovtek tubes. i know they aren't the greatest, but i have hardly any experience with tubes (in general). it takes 2 EL84s and 2 12AX7s. i need new tubes at a decent price and decent quality with a good, full sound. please recommend anything! thanks!

2. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

For good affordable new tubes, You can't go wrong with Sovtek 12AX7LPS, Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH(also made by Sovtek), or JJ's. All of these are great gain/low noise and low microphonics. For EL-84's, JJ/Tesla or Electro-Harmonix- get them online from TubeDepot or The Tube Store

3. Dave

Dave Member

I've had good luck with JJ EL84s, been using them for years in two different amps and haven't had to replace them yet. For 12AX7s the new Tung-Sols are great.

4. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Yep, me too for both. I've tried a bunch of new production tubes and I've found these sound the best and are the most consistent.

5. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

Have the same amp and had great success with JJs (in the Power and Pre section). I went ahead and actually got preamp tubes that were tested for Matched/Balanced Triode.

Great amp and with the JJs, very rich and really rounded out the high-end.

6. NBarnes21

NBarnes21 Member

another vote for JJs, great bang for the buck

7. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I used JJ power tubes and Tung-sol preamp tubes with good results when I didn't want to go NOS.