Good Alnico 10" Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by doveman, Feb 23, 2008.

1. doveman

doveman Member

I'm wondering if I want to replace one of my Eminence Legend 10516 speakers with an Alnico 10" to pair up an Alnico with a Ceramic.

I'm thinking it would be cool to be able to mic either or both when recording. I like the idea of an alnico but I'm a little concerned that sometimes alnicos can be too bright on the top end ... even in the 12s. So I wonder about the 10s.

Can anybody make recommendations for 10" Alnicos that would do well in a 2x10 with a 75w Emi Legend?

2. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

The new eminence red fang 10 is amazing!

3. Strat-O

Strat-O Member

alnico magnets aren't brighter than ceramic magnets. its the design of the entire speaker that creates its 'tone'.

4. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've just paired a Legend 1028K (35watt version) with a Private Jack in my Fargen Dual Classic Combo and love how this speaker sounds...the alnico/ceramic mix is also killin...

it replaced a Copperhead and gives me some nice articulation and chime...the CH probably overdrives a bit smoother and creamier but I'll take the cleans on the alnico...

Chow,
    Seegs

5. doveman

doveman Member

Having never owned an Alico, I don't know. But it certainly seems that just about every Alnico speaker description is brighter ... more high end ... chime. I gotta think that there's something to the magnet.

This is what I might be looking for ... a chimey Alnico ... with a smoother Ceramic ... that's what I'm considering.

Never thought of that one ... looking for a 16 ohm version. The only ones I've seen so far were 8 ohm. But I haven't looked everywhere.

6. Strat-O

Strat-O Member

7. doveman

doveman Member

I do remain unconvinced in light of the evidence, but that's OK. I do appreciate the time taken to give me feedback.

I just wish there was a try before program for speakers. Then I could listen to all of them with my own gear before laying down the cash. But I usually do well with gear by asking on the internet ... sifting through the responses ... then making a choice.

:)

8. LittleC

LittleC Member

Not as many options in the 10" 16ohm world -

Weber has the most choices at 16ohm

Then there are . . .

Jensen p10n & p10q
    Celestion Gold (supposed to be a 10" 16ohm on the horizon)

. . . None of which I've actually tried although I too am looking.

9. Strat-O

Strat-O Member

well I guess all the 'classic' alnico speakers were brighter and extremely popular so maybe that's why no one felt the need to 'fix it if it wasn't broke'. Beats me.

I like bright speaker to keep the overal tone open. You can always turn the treble down if you're to bright, but if the rig is too dark, sometimes you just can't turn the treble up enough to over come it. harsh is bad though!!

The warmest alnico 10 I've used is a Weber Alnico Silver 10. That's probably the ticket for you.