Good "alternate tuning" guitar ie Page's Danelectro

What would be a good choice for a cheaper (around $500, give or take) single coil guitar to designate for alternate tunings or perhaps just a backup work horse?

I'm entertaining the idea as I become slowly addicted to craigslist. A Danelectro would be cool just because of the Page association, but a Jazzmaster would also appeal to me because I've never had a Jazzmaster. A Squier or MiM Tele would also be great, because it would also double as a versatile, main guitar for gigs.

If you do this, what do you personally use?

sliberty

What is your main guitar now?
Tele's are very versatile, and fun. So are P90 based guitars - a great modestly priced choice is the Epi 56 LP Pro (if you love a fat neck like I do). Either of these would be great backup guitars. But if you are bent on dedicating to alternate tuning, the Tele (or Danso) might be the ticket.

What is your main guitar now?
Tele's are very versatile, and fun. So are P90 based guitars - a great modestly priced choice is the Epi 56 LP Pro (if you love a fat neck like I do). Either of these would be great backup guitars. But if you are bent on dedicating to alternate tuning, the Tele (or Danso) might be the ticket.

Mostly use a Les Paul or sometimes an SG. P90s would be great! I am interested in having something in open G, so single coils or P-90's would be great to let it chime a little. It does seem like Teles would be the best way to go...been scoping out craigslist. I've been hearing that MIM can almost be as good as a US version in certain cases, and I've also heard that certain Squiers have been rated very highly. It's hard to keep tabs on all this given the swamp of Teles available on CL.

StratoCraig

MIM Fenders are perfectly fine. Even the Standards. I usually replace the pickups, but that's just my preference.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
I had a Squier Tele Custom II set up as my "alt tunings" guitar for a long time. Usually open D. Non vibrato tailpieces are great if you want to switch tunings around frequently and the P-90's were a lot of fun in that guitar :D

Dano's are really fun for alt tunings as well. They usually have 1 really good sound in them and aren't terribly versatile so I use the tuning thing as my justification for buying another one ;) Dammit, now I want a Dano again!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom