Good Amp Tech in Kansas City?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bigwebb, Feb 16, 2012.

1. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

Can someone recommend a good one? Looking to do a few mods to my ceriatone OTS

2. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

I don't know about KC but i'm in Des Moines IA and Kevin Miles is our local guru and can mod anything really, really well. If you are interested pm me and i'll get you his info.

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Call Mass Street Music in Lawrence, KS. They're pretty close to KC.

4. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

I'm familiar with mass st. but didn't think they had an amp tech in house.

5. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I don't know that he's "in house", but they have access to good tech. Give 'em a shout.

6. jamesrsmith

jamesrsmith Supporting Member

there ARE no "good" amp techs in kansas city. heard too many horror stories from more than one touring/steady gigging musician that lives in kansas city, like "when i did get the amp back it was worse than before i left it with them" , mass street uses jeff ghering sometimes (they used to), he makes amps,but is a busy guy. you are better off sending the chassis off to someone reputable. there are a couple places that can do basic stuff for manufacturers who have amps under warranty and they send you to that local repair place for minor stuff. there used to be an amp manufacturer up there, but he moved to kentucky, cant remember the name. that i why you dont ever see anyone advertising their service up there,,, there aint any.

7. bigwebb

bigwebb Member

well that blows. I had one guy that was an electrical engineer that seemed fairly capable with switching out components and such but after he modded my DRRI it seemed like he didn't ever want to respond to my emails again? Maybe he thought I smelled bad? Or maybe he got in over his head and promised himself not to mess with me anymore?

8. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

There's reportedly a solid fender guy that also designs and builds his own, in Lawrence. A search here or a call to mass street will get you there.

9. ugameus

ugameus Member

10. gmcelroy

gmcelroy Member

I've got a good friend that lives in KC and his response is the same.. there are no good techs in the KC Area that he would trust his amps with! I personally like Mike Metz at Thesis Audio in Wichita, KS... but that's about 3 hrs from KC.

11. jamesrsmith

thank you for the heads up, i get to wichita often,, i will look him up for a contact at least,,,

12. jamesrsmith

pauls site looks great,, i did NOT know about scarlett amps,, thanks for posting,,,

13. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

Mass st. uses Tom Wagner at Underground Sound in Lawrence.

14. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Member

I dunno whether Jeff Gehring is taking in work but he's about the smartest amp man I ever met. Think he's in Lenexa.

15. jamesrsmith

yeah jeff makes some pretty good amps,,this is a hot topic for me in the midwest. a very good friend of mine, rick potter of vintage amp restoration in tulsa OK, who taught me a bunch about amps and stuff(worked on all the players' stuff in tulsa town for many many years) died of lou gherigs disease about 4 years ago. sad day. he was the head electrician also of the new BOK center that opened down there, he also worked for the city,,, i am sure there are guys like him around somewhere in these parts. you just dont know about them until you get word of mouth , like this, i guess.

16. telewired

telewired Supporting Member

I have been trying to contact Jeff Gehring for weeks and nothing---no response at all----not sure what is going on---

17. sahlomonic

sahlomonic Member