Good analog delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by clunk, Sep 10, 2005.

1. clunk

clunk Member

I'm looking for an analog delay. Preferably a pedal. I've tried various digitals in the past. What are some good choices for analog whether new or old? Just looking for some ideas before i waist time on trying bad ones out that may be problematic in the future or just bad sounding. Just looking to narrow the selection for some of the better sounding ones.

Clunk

2. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

It depends on how much delay time you need, as well as how much you want to pay. Some good options worth exploring:

Maxon 9 series pedals
    Maxon AD-900 (no longer made. check internet ads or ebay) or AD-999 vintage series
    Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
    Diamond Pedals Memory Lane
    Echoczar (if you want to spend big bucks and wait a long time for your pedal)
    Fulltone Tube Tape Echo (not analog, but tape...still bigger bucks)

A lot of used Ibanez pedals get good recommendations, too.

If you want analog emulation, consider Line 6s delay modeler, or also the Boss DD-20 (I think that's what it's called...)

Also search the forum. Tons of discussion about analog delays.

Jeff

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

has anyone tried a/b ing the aqua puss,ibanez ad999- or similar with the diamond memory lane. i have one and it sounds mountains above my dd-5, deluxe memory man and reel echo. i know way huge was prototyping a super-puss (4 made) with 600 ms analog delay when they went out of business and also a Galactic Swankulator that was never even put into production with 600 ms analog delay and modulation. the memory lane has bucket brigade technology 550 ms delay and modulation and sounds awesome! oscillates nicely too!

4. clunk

clunk Member

I havent tried alot in the way of analog. I'm not really after tape echo. And price doesnt really matter to me as long as it sounds good. I was leaning toward an AD-900 (better than the 999 from what ive read), EH Memory man, or the Memory lane. I dont really need long delay times either, just short to medium slapback mostly. Moogerfooger 104 seems nice too but a little pricey for what they go for now. I'll have to look up some other threads too. Thanks,

Clunk

5. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Given that you don't need long delay times (550ms and under?), I can't imagine anything much closer to perfection than the Diamond Memory Lane.

6. jcshirke

I owned an AD-900, and now I have an AD-999. I can't really tell a big difference in the tone of the pedals, although I'm sure there must be some differences. Here's the biggest difference, as far as I'm concerned. My AD-900 crapped out on me and couldn't be repaired. Godlyke replaced it with an AD-999. It works. You tell me which pedal is "better". :)

I also have a Memory Lane. To be honest, my initial reaction, when A/B ing it with the AD-999, was that the AD-999 sounded better. The repeats have much less noise, and they are clearer. I was ready to sell the Memory Lane, and then I A/B ed them again one more time. This time I thought the differences were slighter, and that each pedal sounded good in its own right. I need to go back and spend more time with both of them.

The best sounding, non-digital delay that I own is the TTE hands down.

In the digital domain, the Korg SDD-3000 is king. The TC 2290 simulation in the Eventide H8000 sounds fantastic, too. I'd love to try out a real 2290 to compare.

Jeff

7. clunk

clunk Member

Again something i read, is that the AD 999 has a "click" sound that repeats with the delay when you turn the effect on. i'm not sure if its true but i could see this being annoying if you're trying to record. Mabe others do this too. I'll have to try them out. Thanks for the info.

Clunk

8. patchesprescott

patchesprescott Supporting Member

how 'bout the new "vintage" TC Electronic delay pedal

the sound sample from their website sounds pretty freakin good, i must concede

supposedly it is based in part on the 2290 sound

does anyone know how much these are gonna cost?

9. jcshirke

The "new" TC pedals are the "old" T-Rex pedals in new packaging. Nothing more. That's what I heard from a friend in Denmark.

10. jcshirke

No click in my AD-999.

11. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Mem Lane definately does not click... Tap tempo and modulation are great bonus features too.

12. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

None in mine either!

13. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

I used to think a longer delay time was necessary, not after I got my Memory Lane.
    This pedal has me considering selling off most of my delay collection.
    Also, I no longer lust for an Echoczar as much.

14. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

my first reaction to the memory lane was that it was too lo fi. but by tweaking the eq knob and the mix knob i found that it was the best delay i have. i will be selling my other delays now.

15. Rid

Rid Senior Member

The Memory Lane is brilliant!

16. clunk

clunk Member

Man it's starting to look like the Memory lane is becoming a clear winner. Well it will deffinately be one that i try out for sure. Thanks for some of the info here.

Clunk

17. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I'll break down my recommendations into four price levels

Low - Arion SAD-1 - stereo, sounds great (NOT the SAD-3)

Medium - EH Deluxe Memory Man - sweet modulated delays

High - Diamond Memory Lane - DMM sounds plus fx loop, tap tempo too

Lawyer - EchoCzar TIED with the Moog

18. stephenT

stephenT Supporting Member

I like the sound of my Maxon AD-80. Ha d Aqua Puss and thought the AD-80 sounded better. Less noise.

19. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

I just picked up a DM-2 off eBay. Seriously fat, am enjoying it. Only 300ms but that sounds fine for you.

20. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There were at least two Super-Pusses with modulation, one recently was on Ebay.