Good and cheap solutions for Mesa power amp mode switching?

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Janus Alfador, May 21, 2020.

1. Janus Alfador

Janus Alfador Member

I have a Mesa 290, which has deep, half-drive, and modern modes that are activated via jacks that take any regular patch cables connected to a switching device. The 290 manual suggests the 290 should be paired with a Triaxis, which has interface jacks specifically for mode-switching purposes.

I don't have a Triaxis. I have a rackmount MIDI channel switcher, but it offers limits channels and it seems to me like a waste to use some of them up just to switch in and out modes on the 290.

So, apart from having a Triaxis or using-up a rack switcher's channels, what's a good solution to switch in and out the power amp's modes?

2. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

3. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Looking at the unit, isn't that the unlatched/unlatched slow +/-?

4. Janus Alfador

Janus Alfador Member

I'm unsure if the 290 uses latch or momentary switching. I'm suspecting momentary, though.

From the 290's manual: "All you have to do is connect any "tip to ground" switching jack to these and you can audition each of these features individually or combine them for the most radical tone shaping experience you ever heard come from a power amp."

I wonder if that means that either momentary or latching works.

From the Triaxis manual:

https://mesaboogie.com/media/User Manuals/TriAxis_091007.pdf
    From the Triaxis manual: "Switch Jacks 1 through 4 provide “Tip to Ground” function switches for controlling or activating external devices such as the “Switch-Track” voicing features that are incorporated into MESA/Boogie Switch Track power amplifiers. They will also control many, but not all, Bypass, Hold, Mute etc. function jacks found on many Non-MESA products that do not use momentary logic. If they do not control a device that you own, we suggest calling that devices manufacture for specific voltage requirements, as TriAxis may not provide “ground” needed to control the particular device."

That could mean that Mesa use momentary switches. I might contact Mesa, though for clarification.

I can't find that Nux PMS-2 for sale anywhere. But here's 2-button Nux switcher that works for momentary or latch switching.

If it's momentary switching, would a regular patch switch like this be useable, or would it have no effect?.

5. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

Voodoo Lab Control Switcher should be able to do that. Latched or momentary. Easy to program.

Janus Alfador likes this.
  6. NoGlassNoClass

NoGlassNoClass Member

The switching logic is latching. If you don't need to switch on the fly, more a set-it-and-forget-it type thing, a shorted 1/4'' plug will do it. If your rack is crowded, you could take some short speaker wires arranged with a 1/4'' on one end and a SPST toggle switch on the other, and mount them on the rear rails somewhere easy to get at.

Janus Alfador likes this.
  7. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Wait, are you guys suggesting the modes on the Mesa power amps can be triggered with ANY preamp, not just the Triaxis? The reason I ask is because my 2:100 has a "Modern" setting that can be triggered but wasn't sure if that could be achieved with something like a Boss GT-Pro or Eleven Rack.

8. MikeyT

MikeyT Supporting Member

I shorted the tip to ring on some 1/4" jacks and left the modes on all the time.

9. PFDarkside

PFDarkside Member

Yes, all you are doing is connecting the tip to sleeve. Modern is a shift and increase of presence.

10. racks4ever

racks4ever Member

11. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Hiding from Murder Hornets in Atlanta, GA
    You can use old school MkIII pedals to switch the power mode on the 2:90.

[​IMG]

Janus Alfador and MikeyT like this.