Good and not too expensive tech in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RocknPop, Feb 7, 2012.

1. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

I just bought a Les Paul Classic and would like a well known tech to give it a tune up (intonation, pots, jack, neck, strings).

Anyone in Chicago (preferably in the loop) know of any good techs?

2. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

Ian at Guitar Specimen does great work and is a good dude. I'm not sure about the pricing, but for that he could probably give you a quote over the phone.

http://www.specimenproducts.com/

3. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Geoff Benge or Avenue N Guitars. Both top notch.

4. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

I highly recommend Joe Campagna of Guitar Tech Services. He works out of home in Downers Grove. I've also used Third Coast Guitars, which is very close to the loop.

5. duaner58

duaner58 Supporting Member

Schroeder... worth the investment everytime

6. RocknPop

Just for the record, I ended up taking the guitar to Geoff Benge and for anyone looking to give him work, please don't. Even though his setup work was OK, he scratched the hell out of the guitar and did a very sloppy job. Not going back... Ever. Do yourself a favor and don't go there either.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  7. brucesinger

brucesinger Member

Next time see Bob at RMS Guitar Repair in the western suburbs. You'll thank me later...

8. RocknPop

Thanks man, I'll probably wait and supervise whoever works on my guitar next time. I just can't get over how sloppy this guy was.

9. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

That's such a shame to hear. Geoff has a reputation for being one of the best and a total perfectionist. If what you're saying is true, and I'm not doubting it, then he must be going through hard times.

10. RocknPop

Agreed, unfortunate because despite his attitude, lies, and sloppy work, he actually did a good job with the setup and seemed to be very knowledgeable.

11. PhilF

PhilF Member

I've heard decent things about Schroeder but they did horrible work on my buddies SVT bass amp. It had issues when it went in, and had the same issues when it came back. They also in my opinion did a bad job on his Jazz bass, but that's my opinion.

I've heard great things about Ave N. I bought some bareknuckle pickups from them. My experiences are limited to the work done on other people's things because I do my own work.

12. 909one

909one Member

Schroeder is the best IMO, but I haven't taken a guitar there in a year or two. Though, I feel like they might be getting a little too big for their britches with all the press from Wilco, Nels Cline and Andrew Bird. i have had friends go in there and get a little attitude, but that's sorta the case for alot of these places I guess.

A lot of people don't have a lot of positive things to say abou Ian at Specimen. I think of him more as an artist than a repair man. I've heard that people have had to take repairs to him many times and had to keep bringing them back because he didn't do them right. Plus he has an Albini attitude that you'll either love or hate.

Third Coast is ok, they churn out a lot of Guitars because they do all the repairs for Guitar Center, but they are decent for the price.

I have heard decent things about Chicago Fretworks and also Dr. Fretgood.

I bought some nut files, and fretting tools so I won't be bringing my guitars to techs anymore unless its something like a headstock break. As for amps, I'd goto Schroeder first probably.

13. Johnny Vox

Johnny Vox Member

Third Coast. Chicago Fretworks. Can't go wrong--both those guys have worked on virtually every national band's guitars in the area.

14. TimSchroeder

TimSchroeder Member

I just wanted to say to 909one that the gentleman who may have given you undeserved attitude is no longer working for us. That is not how we operate and we would love to see you back!

Bear in mind that if any work we do is not to your satisfaction PLEASE bring it to our attention, so that we may do what will satisfy your needs. Instruments are a very personal thing to any artist. Our work is never done until our clients are thrilled.

I appreciate all of the responses and am honored to be mentioned.

-Tim Schroeder

15. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

If you are on the NW side, Minstrel Music in Niles on Milwaukee Ave.

16. teleman55

teleman55 Member

+1. Used these guys a lot over the years. For amps (they'd be my #1 recommend for vintage amp repair), but guitars too. They do very good work and are very reasonably priced too. Only downside is turnover time can be a little long especially for amps. But they do it right. They are a small place and busy. I've also used Third Coast for a few things and they did good work.

17. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

Seems like these threads for local guys come up every now and then and you see alot of the same names mentioned, some positive, some not.

There is a guy that probably does not get mentioned much because he works in a small store in the 'burbs. His name is Chip at the Music Gallery in Highland Park.

Good guy, who does absolutely stellar guitar work. Had him do some neck work and refret on a vintage Strat and it was absolutely first rate. He'll take the time to do it right and get quality results. Probably a bit off the beaten path, but worth the trip.

18. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

Scott @ Fat Cat in Elgin. THE best I've used.

Tony

19. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    Awesome post. Cant beat Tim, I have used him for a few years with no issues at all.

20. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I had my Les Paul Plek'd by George at the Music Gallery and I couldn't be happier.
    Guitar came out perfect & George was great.
    He did it while I waited and let me watch the Plek machine in action.