Good/Bad Experiences: Guitar Parts Resource...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Pyrrhic Victory, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Pyrrhic Victory

Pyrrhic Victory Member

Has anyone dealt with Guitar Parts Resource?
    I had to pick up a part through them.
    I've had some issues with the part.
    I don't want to say it is the wrong part or was poorly described on their site, because I could have made a mistake about what constitutes an "American Standard Strat" or failed to ask a question I should have asked about how it would fit my specific year of strat.

Nevertheless, I can not get anyone there to respond to my emails or phone calls or messages. I've called and emailed... politely for over a week now and nothing.

Advice? Thoughts? Similar experiences? Am I just spoiled by all the good service experiences I've had from small builders?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. JNixon

JNixon Supporting Member

I've used them many, many times in the past and received great service and fast shipping from them. A few weeks back I ordered a set of Tele saddles from them and it took them over a week to ship and only after I emailed to inquire. I was kind of surprised after the great service I received in the past. I am not sure what the problem was since they did not respond to my email, they just shipped the order.

3. SlideGeetar

SlideGeetar Supporting Member

I used them several times but that was many years ago. At least 4 years ago. I had no issues.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

So what did you get, and what's it supposed to go on?

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

An excellent vendor in fact I need to order some parts from them - thanks for the reminder. :aok

6. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I haven't dealt with GPR, but there have been enough changes in the "American Standard/Series" guitars over the years that I would always err on the side of asking too many questions when ordering parts.

7. clydes001

clydes001 Member

I have had good experiences with them. Fast shipping, pretty great prices in brand named parts.

8. t***9

t***9 Silver Supporting Member

Yea, the last year or two their customer service in response to vm's or emails has really suffered, sometimes they'll answer emails, but its unpredictable. They still do ship quick tho. Good Luck.

9. chervokas

chervokas Member

I've purchased stuff from GPR over the years and been perfectly satisfied with the transactions, but never had ocassion to try to contact them.

10. Pyrrhic Victory

Pyrrhic Victory Member

I bought parts for my strat tremolo--a new bridge plate and pivot screws.
    The plate did not fit with my stock Am. Standard block. The string holes were aligned but the hole for the trem arm didn't fit.
    I just wanted to know if it was an issue with the year Strat I have or if the plate was just slightly machined incorrectly.
    In any case, I have gotten zero response after several emails and phone messages.
    And, I have not blown up their message machine or flooded their inbox. If I'd done that, I could see them ignoring me from irritation.

11. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

I've used them twice and both times it was a hassle. I had forgotten about the first time, since it had been over a year between purchases, or I would not have returned. No notification of back-order status, no order confirmation email, no response to phone messages or emails, no communication at all until I threatened to file a case with PayPal. Others have had good dealings, but I will spend a few more $$$'s for less hassle elsewhere.

12. DRS

DRS Member

I've made 6 purchases over 6 years. Never a problem. My first call for parts.

13. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

I placed 3 parts orders over the weekend.

- Guitarfetish.com: 2 pups and knobs.
    I got an order confirmation and then delievery and tracking info a few days later. Order arrived on Wednesday. Great Service!

- Hoagland Bros. (via ebay): wiring harness (made to order).
    I got an order confirmation and notice of shipment via USPS 1st Class on Wednesday. Was told it would be here by Saturday. Still waiting on delivery.

- Guitar Parts Resource: Grover tuners, tail piece, pup rings & screws, pick guard brace, etc. The order was placed last Saturday ($129 order). I got my Paypal receipt immediately. According to their "Shipping Info" it takes 48 hours to prep and any order over $50 is sent USPS Priority Mail (2 day delivery). I sent an email Monday asking for delivery by Friday (Today). I used their Online Questionaire and left a voicemail during the week to try and find the status of my order...no replies. And today... nothing. I left a post on the Facebook page asking about it...they took it down without a respoonse.
    GPR's customer service is not good. If it's not here tomorrow, I'm calling my CC and Paypal and filing a no delivery complaint.

14. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

ive ordered a few parts from them.
    it worked out well. no problems.

15. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

Of course.... I post this and I get a "being Shipped" email from GPR... IT TOOK A WEEK just to fill a box with parts... Don't believe their "Shipping info" !

16. cdntac

cdntac Member

Their ability to answer the phone or emails is lacking (that's an understatement).

But I finally did get an order problem resolved (they sent the wrong part). They didn't even ask for the part back.

I believe it was via email that I was finally able to make contact.

17. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Very poor communication. I go elsewhere because of that.

18. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

Pretty good experiences here, buy from them quite a bit. You do have to communicate with them if shipping takes too long, one time I think that they didn't ship my order until I contacted them like a week later. You would have the same problem with any vendor really if you are saying your part didn't fit. I had the same issue with GuitarFetish when I bought an "American Standard" Trem Block, our idea of what was AM.STD was totally different and the people there acted like I was stupid (i.e. should go by measurement rather than description) . so at least GPR hasn't insulted me that way.

GPR also has good clearance deals.

19. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I recently ordered a set of tuners from GPR and they arrived with no issue.

20. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

Finally got MOST of my order. The bridge is "back ordered". They didn't even notify me of it. I am canceling that part of my order and buying else where.

UPDATE: They do respond... when you cancel and order and ask for a refund... in under 5 minutes. AMAZING!

If you are OK with a complete lack of communication (phone, email, online, or fax) and a blatant disregard for their own ordering/shipping policies then buy from them... otherwise, look for a more reputable vendor.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012