Good Bass and DI box for Bass Recording

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JKoeth, Jan 8, 2006.

1. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

While mainly a guitar player, I will probably be getting a Bass for home recording and demos this year.

I'll probably pick up a Mexi Fender Jazz Bass (possibly a 5 string) and swap the pickups eventually. Since it will be for recording at home, I will most likely not be getting an amp for it.

As far as a DI box, I'm at a bit of a loss. I don't typically care much for the Line 6 stuff. I've got an M-Audio Omni Studio which would probably work just fine but I've never tried it.

Any input is appreciated!!

2. elambo

elambo Member

Based on the gear you have listed, it's safe to assume that you're a fan of high end. I've spent a few years, and quite a few dollars, searching for the ultimate bass combo. I've settled on a Lakland bass (55-94) and Ampeg preamp (SVP-CL). With the two I can cover just about anything. When necessary, this combo can give the ultimate tone - huge, tight, and defined. I've had the chance to record some incredible sounding basses played by some players at the top of their craft, but none have brought a "better" sound (I'm lying - one player in particular first introduced me to the Lakland, and he's played through my Ampeg, and MUCH prettier than I ever could, so there's the BEST bass tone I've ever heard).

The Lakland has both Fender AND Music Man types of pickups, active or passive, and a great eq section. The Ampeg has more options than you'd know what to do with, BUT it's not a power amp. It's a preamp meant to be followed by either an amp or to go to tape, which is how I use it.

3. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

Doesn't Tech 21 make a similar bass preamp unit? I know the SansAmp guys swear by their stuff, but I doubt it's a tone for everyone.

I'd still try out a Bass POD... the frequency range is a little easier to manipulate digitally.

I've also heard rave reviews of the SWR Interstellar Overdrive preamp... haven't used it, but it's worth putting on the short list.

Lately, I'm all about mic'ing a bass cab... I'm looking at a small Ashdown 10" practice amp that has gorgeous tone for recording with.

Other than that, Avalon or Aguilar.

4. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

The SansAmp Bass Driver is a nice unit. It's fairly versatile with the drive and eq controls. I haven't used the bass pod, but it's probably even more versatile.

5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

+1 for the SansAmp. If you're only going to get one, IMO that would be the one to get.

6. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

3 words....Avalon, avalon, avalon

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

$$$$, $$$$, $$$$!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. Does Avalon make anything affordable for home users?

If I'm going to cut another album it will be in a pro studio with a pro engineer. At home, I just like to do demos and write songs. If Avalon made anything in the 200-400 range, I'd be really interested.

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The line out on my B-15 into an API pre rocks pretty hard. That's more stuff than you want to kick around though so I'll second the sansamp bass driver.

9. elambo

elambo Member

Didn't realize you'd set a budget. In that case, I'd also have to hop on the wagon and push the Sansamp.

10. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Yeah, I guess I wasn't clear on that! Of course I'd want an Avalon in my dream studio....

One Day....

11. Lifewithoutpain

Lifewithoutpain Member

The Avalon U5, while above your budget, is not that expensive really, let's say you wont regret it if you do put up the extra cash. It'll also get the true sound and full range of your bass to the board in a very simple fashion. It's one piece of gear I don't think I'll ever get rid of.

12. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

You can also add the Sadowsky Pre/DI and Tone Bone bassbone to the list. Not as universal as the sansamp but still very nice. And since nobody else has mentioned it, the GT Ditto (or Brick) is a great sounding DI.

13. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

Aphex 1402 Bass Xciter/ DI
    PreSonus Eureka (not purpose built for it, but it KILLS as a bass DI)

14. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

I currently use

MXR Bass DI - M-80
    John East Zing Pre
    Ashdown ABM 300 as a Preamp

Look into as well
    Sansamp Bass Driver
    Sansamp Para Driver
    John East U-retro Stomp
    EBS Microbass II
    Sadowsky Outboard Pre
    Radial Bassbone
    Aphex Bass Exciter
    Aphex Acoustic Exciter (Smoother and less aggressive than the bass one)

All these feature eq and xlr out and are pedal format, there are way more options if you go for a 19inch rack mount pre and DI. Alot of people find that any decent mic preamp will do, alot of bass players going for a more hi-fi sound are even using these high fidelity mic pres in there live rigs.

Also if you have the cash check out the Avalon U5

Hope this helps

15. straticus

straticus Member

I was in the same boat as you and ended up buying a used Base Pod from GC. I only paid $110.00. I'm super happy with it. Lots of nice tones that come across really well in the mix. Very versatile little unit.

BC :)

16. dhodgeh

dhodgeh Silver Supporting Member

Sansamp BDDI.

I've gone through the original Bass Pod, and now have a Bass Pod XT up for sale - keeping the Sansamp.

If you're looking for a bunch of effects and such, then the Pod may be a better choice, but IMHO, the Sansamp wins on tone.

hth

D

17. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I've used a Sansamp BDDI for years, and have recently supplemented it with a bass POD. I still lean more heavily on the Sansamp side when running both. I'd recommend a tube DI if price wasn't an issue, but for the short dough it's damned hard to beat the Sans.

P.S.-

Elambo-

I'm loving my new (to me) lakland 55-94 fretless. Amazing breadth and quality of tones therein.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yea, seriously,

why skimp on your bass?

just get a nice Lakland "Skyline" Joe Osborn for a nice sweet yet versatile fender jazz kinda sound that wont break the bank. heck, it already has some killer lindy fralin jazz bass pickups. FYI, the Skylines are built in korea, but setup expertly by the Lakland staff in chicago, so you're getting a terrific instrument that's head and shoulders a better value than most anything fender'll put out.

DI wise, the avalon's great, but most any DI should do, tho i'm partial to going with an active DI since you'll be using a passive pickup'd bass. so, the Radial JDI is tops for me.

19. elambo

elambo Member

I hear ya loud and clear. Lakland still seems to fly under the radar, in fact it was really difficult to find one (even though they're made a mile from my house) but they are truly inspiring basses. My favorite, even among the other high-end basses.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

really?