Good Basses on a Budget

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by leej1019, Jan 25, 2012.

1. leej1019

leej1019 Member

This is my first post actually.
    I'm actually a guitarist but looking to get into bass a bit.
    Any suggestions for a good decent bass for someone who's trying bass out in general?

2. CA_Dan

CA_Dan Member

You can't go wrong with a classic vibe squier. They are are real value and are as good or better than a lot of the MIM fender stuff. I have the classic vibe jazz and love it as much as my american deluxe PJ. Rondos are cheap and sound ok but the fret work is pretty low quality on the one I purchased.

3. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Keep your eyes open. I got a USA Guild Pilot (P/J passive) from the Emporium here for under $250 shipped. My $1K + basses are sitting gathering dust while I play the Pilot - very nice bass!
    If you go new, yes to the Squire Classic Vibe or Vintage Modifieds.

4. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I had a cheap MIK Tobias Toby Pro that I stupidly sold. Those play like a much more expensive bass. I also really like the MusicMan SUB basses. They can be found for pretty good deals used too.

I'm not a fan of Fender basses myself, cheap or expensive.

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Mexican P or J.

6. Toogy

Toogy Member

As I said in another post, Squier Vintage Modified P-Bass! It plays great, & sounds great! And looks pretty good as well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. sidewinder IV

sidewinder IV Member

Squire Classic Vibe series. Love my Blonde 50's Precision.

8. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

If you light your Cuban cigars with fifty dollar bills, buy a new bass. Otherwise, one of the Squires mentioned above, purchased used, is your best bet.

9. leej1019

leej1019 Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll keep an eye out for a used CV Jazz Bass

10. V-Type

V-Type Member

I just started on bass.
    Guitar was always my first instrument as well as drums but I found I could play well enough too be offered a bass player gig in a couple of bands.
    I used a Ibanez SGR for awhile with EMG's. Great low buck 5 string but the neck wasnt my fav.
    Next I tried a MIM Precision with a Maple neck and found the perfect neck shape for me.
    I also fell in love with a MIM Deluxe Jazz V that is easily on par with USA made variants.
    The Ibanez SGR 300's and up are around $200 used and great starter too intermediate guitars.
    The MIM's are easily the sleepers in the bass world.
    Under $400 used and very close too pro in quality and tonality.
    The Deluxes are the MIM's counterpart too the US Standards and Hw1's and worth the
    $400-$500 they go for.
    Schecters are another good cheap bass but the glossy neck was too sticky for me on some models.
    A few of the Yamaha's are great players as well as low $$$( BBN 4/5 series)

11. jamesimm

jamesimm Member

All good suggestions but I have a little different take I have 10 -11 basses from high dollar vintage Fenders to custom made 6 strings, play them all like them all but to me the best bang for the buck is finding 2 -3 year old Peavey active electrics...killer wood, neck thru , great quality, excellent pre-amps but overlooked as "cheesey Peavey...BUT... Oh contrare Montfrer...For $500 you can find a $1500 Peavey custom....I recommend these to my students....a LOT of bass Just a thought!

:rotflmao

12. topfencer

topfencer Member

Leej,

I was in a similar position a couple months ago, guitar player who was filling in for out bassist at church a lot and felt a growing need to stop borrowing gear and get my own rig. I'd say def buy used, as you'll save money and can get most of your investment back if you decide you don't like it.

The Vintage Modified/Classic Vibe Squiers get lots of love here, as do the SX basses from Rondo music (b/c they're okay bases for super cheap - not b/c they're great basses). Old Peavey Fury's (and some of the other models) are great too. Made in the USA, and a lot of people think they're pretty comparable to a Mexi P Bass. I haven't played a true Fender, but I've got a Fury and I love it. Great slim neck makes an easy transition from guitar. They usually seem to run $150 used, but I snagged mine for $65 on the local craigslist.

Good places to look: local craiglists, pawn shops (if you know what stuff is worth), eBay can be good if you know what you want, and the classifieds here and on TalkBass are good (though they tend to have more high end basses). While their bases are often overpriced, Guitar Center's used inventory is often pretty cheap for amps - especially if they're a discontinued model (lots of good old Peaveys, Fenders, etc.). I got my Bassman 25 for $50 of there! Good luck.

13. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I'd say go to all the pawnshops in your area and try to look for basses there. MOST guys go to pawnshops to look for guitars and not basses. All my bass scores have been at pawnshops. You can find some good American P-bass and J-basses if you spend the time. I do agree with the guy who mentioned the USA Peavey active basses which are also out there. I've scored all my basses from 2008 to last week: I spent a total of $ 1337 for all 8 of my basses. You can find killer deals if you consistently make rounds like clock work. ALWAYS ask if they have any guitars or basses that they can bring to the floor NOW. I've snagged 1/2 my scores like this. Always do your homework on what you might be interested and know the values.

'88 Peavey Dyna Unity Series Bass w/ case $149:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

'09 Hohner B2B $58, '79 Blk P-Bass $180, '79 Butterscotch P-Bass $250 w/ original case '74 S.B. J-Bass $64.64, '75 Ventura J-Bass $165 , '89 S.M. J-Bass w/ original case $315, '88 F.P. Kramer P-bass $129:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  14. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

1983 Matsumoko built Westone Thunder 1A
    Great bass.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  15. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I'd have snagged that for $50 without blinking. Nice score.

16. bobwl

bobwl Member

This is going to sound odd but believe it or not Guitar Center used is a great place to find cheap basses. Like said earlier about Pawn Shops most people go for guitars. A lot of times if they have used basses they are dirt cheap.

What bass to go for depends on how much your hung up on names. If you are then I'd say Fender MIM or EB Stingray SUB. I'd say the SUBs are the best deal out there if that's the sound your going for, they are made in the US even. Discontinued because they were costing more to make than they were priced at in the stores.

If name doesn't matter to you then Squier Classic Vibes are great, so are early 80's Ibanez and USA made Peavey. Personally I've owned basses from $100 to $6000. Two of the ones i still have are a 1982 Ibanez Blazer Bass that I got for $200 and a USA Peavey Axcelerator Fretless that I got from GC for $350.

17. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

westone bass does nothing for me, but some Vox amps...!?! Oh, nevermind; I forgot this is the bass forum.

18. Deaj

Deaj Member

Another nod to the Squire Classic Vibe series. I've demo'd quite a few of these (basses and guitars) and came away quite impressed every time. Build quality, tone, and playability seem to be very consistent. One would be hard pressed to find a better guitar or bass at this price point IMO.

19. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Used basses seem to be the way to go.
    I was in your position a few months back and found a Squier Skull bass on the used wall at a local GC (local being the LA area). It's a basic bolt-neck 4-string with both a Precision and a Jazz pickup plus MT, MV and blend knob and a pickup selector switch. Aside from some sort of goofy-looking skull and crossbone graphics, it's a nice clean design that plays very well and does all the things you expect from a decent bass. The good part was that it was $119 and pristine, used. Included a gig bag. They eventually dropped the price and tossed in a new set of strings.
    [​IMG]

A couple of months later I walked into another GC and found a bright red Carvin '89 LB75 on their Clearance endcap. This is a five-string neck-through with passive pickups driving an active preamp. Absolutely stunning guitar, supposedly traded in by someone who thought it was a bit bright and rock and roll-looking for his jazz career and traded it for a more woody-locking guitar. Pristine shape for 23 years old (what look like dings are reflections, below), ebony fretboard, real MOP block inlays and a Jackson-style headstock. Awesome sound.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  20. theroan

theroan Member

In my mind the best bang for your buck basses are:
    Musicman SUB (got mine for $370)
    Fender Highway 1
    Ibanez (varies by model)
    Spector Legend