Good Big Muff clone thats still in production

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by porsch8, Mar 18, 2008.

1. porsch8

porsch8 Member

Any clones, or actual EHX big muff's that are worth the price, and still in production?

2. benabloom

benabloom Member

I Have the J Everman Ultra Drive which is a Big Muff clone as far as Ive been told. It definatley does the Wall of Sound very well and has a very adjustable EQ. Built like a tank and relatively inexpensive.

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

4. brattmoore

brattmoore Member

5. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

For the Green Russian Muff type thing, the Earthquaker Devices Hoof is excellent.

Also, the Little Big Muff isn't bad at all.

6. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

For $69.00 the EH Little Big Muff is hard to beat for the fun/$ ratio.

7. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Is it? I paid a lot less than that for mine the three times I've had 'em.

8. benjammin

benjammin Member

Don't overlook the BYOC, you can get the Beaver with Ram's Head specs or Swollen Pickle--cool stuff.

9. fuzzfan1

fuzzfan1 Member

North of the Cheddar Curtain-Shorewood Wisconsin
    I've got to disagree with you! I had a DAM Ram Head last summer and a/b'd it with a fellow TGP member's vintage Ram Head and it sounded very lame in comparison! IMO, calling it a clone is a complete misnomer! It sounded more like an OD in comparison! Yeah, it was well made with quality parts and looked nice but "THAT" tone/sustain just wasn't there. Not trying to start anything, just sharing my experience. :)

To the OP, check out a Stress FX Ram Head clone. I have since gotten my own vintage Ram Head and a/b'd it with my Stress FX and it pretty much nails the vintage RH's tone and sustain with a TON of volume on tap. I got my Stress FX off of ebay for I think $86.00 shipped. I believe there's one in the Emporium for $75.00. A steal in my book! ;)

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

WOW! I A/B'd it with 2 vintage Ram Heads and the D*A*M was both edgier and fuzzier, although a touch tighter in the low end. If anything was more OD-like, it was the vintage EHX Ram's! Totally the opposite experience. Wow... seriously, you must have gotten a bum unit because it's so far from an OD it's not even in the same ballpark... not even on the same continent! Anyway, we all have different experiences, and the vintage Rams aren't exactly consistent. Nor were the 3 D*A*M Ram Heads I owned - they all sounded a bit different from one another. Considering the one I have now is basically a BYOC Large Beaver, it's very very vintage muffy!

-Ben

11. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

The Ronsound Hairpie is a great BM clone. Comes in three flavors, Triangle Knob, Ram's Head, and '81.

12. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

13. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I've just picked up a Hoof and it is an amazing fuzz box, and I know it's loosely based on the Green Russian Muff, but it's too different to be considered a clone. Half of the silicon transistors have been replaced with germanium trannies and the both pairs of clipping diodes have been replaced with LEDs.

It sounds quite a bit different from my old Green Russian Muff. I loved the early green one, but I like my Hoof much better.

14. fuzzfan1

fuzzfan1 Member

North of the Cheddar Curtain-Shorewood Wisconsin
    Maybe my DAM Ram Head was a bad unit. I was SO PUMPED to get my hands on one and I can honestly say it was one of my biggest gear disappointments ever! :(

Your point on the consistency of the vintage Ram Heads is well taken! I've heard that vintage RH's and vintage EHX effects in general were extremely inconsistent. I've only had the good fortune of playing two in person(one of which I own) and loved them both! Maybe I should a/b the two and see (hear) what if any inconsistencies exist between the two. I'd be very interested to hear the results...

Anywho, I'm guessing I'm in the vast minority on this, but that's what my ears were telling me!

Thanks for your insight and the friendly discussion! :)

Erich

15. halted

halted Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Stress FX Ram's Head. Killer Muff.

16. geetarman

geetarman Member

MJM Foxey is worth the $ IMO.

17. theHoss

theHoss Member

Agreed, the Foxey Fuzz is a great one!

18. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I have a 70's Big Muff and a newish Little Big Muff and they sound nearly identical.

19. LP Deluxe

LP Deluxe Member

Another vote for the Foxey!

Dave

20. bionic

bionic Member

I have a handmade fuzz face clone, Maestro fuzztain (great for bass!), a '76 Big Muff and a Foxey Fuzz and for pure mayhem with a big tonal sweep the Foxey wins