Good bitcrusher Fuzz pedals?

DeadCell

I missed an opportunity last night to buy an original Devi Ever Legend of Fuzz on ebay for $90. I've heard the newer ones aren't the same circuit and just aren't worth the money.

So I'm looking for other alternatives. I've found the FXdoctor 8-Bit Fuzz, but I've read that you don't really want to do business with him, and I haven't had luck finding any online.

Any good fuzzes for old school video game sounds/music?

Note: This will be my introduction to fuzz pedals. I've just never really had an interest. I was originally going to buy a Fuzzhugger fuzz, but after discovering the Legend of Fuzz.... I kinda want a gimmick fuzz.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
Can't go wrong with the Fuzzhugger Ghost Arcade, it has more bit-crushed sounds than a Commodore 64. Why not have something that can do a gimmick and also offer more? There's also the Red Panda Bitcrusher that you may want to check out, not exactly a fuzz, but it may be right up your alley.

DeadCell

Can't go wrong with the Fuzzhugger Ghost Arcade, it has more bit-crushed sounds than a Commodore 64. Why not have something that can do a gimmick and also offer more? There's also the Red Panda Bitcrusher that you may want to check out, not exactly a fuzz, but it may be right up your alley.
Ghost Arcade or Phantom Arcade? I can't seem to find a Ghost Arcade online. Thanks btw, I'm about to watch a PGS review of the Phantom Arcade.

Multicellular

I missed an opportunity last night to buy an original Devi Ever Legend of Fuzz on ebay for $90. I've heard the newer ones aren't the same circuit and just aren't worth the money.

So I'm looking for other alternatives. I've found the FXdoctor 8-Bit Fuzz, but I've read that you don't really want to do business with him, and I haven't had luck finding any online.

Note: This will be my introduction to fuzz pedals. I've just never really had an interest. I was originally going to buy a Fuzzhugger fuzz, but after discovering the Legend of Fuzz.... I kinda want a gimmick fuzz.
Just to make sure I understand you correctly, I am gathering that you want a digital bit crushing pedal that sounds fuzzy. (Fuzz generally referring to analog circuits and '8-bit' 'bit crushing' being, by definition, digital)

Check out the WMD Geiger Counters. These are bit crushers, wave table processors, and have an analog preamp which work together.

Or Geiger Counter C.I. While the C.I. doesn't have knobs for bit depth, the presets (over a dozen+ each has a lofi mode) have varying bit depths.

You can hear the C.I a little on my pedalboard demo at 4:18 and 13:50. But there are better demos I'm sure. But I also point you there for the Frantabit (see 3:55) that is a straight bit crusher, sample rate reducer. Not fuzzy, but if you combine it with some overdrive or a dirty amp can get amazing.

Death by Audio: Robot

Last edited:

DeadCell

I'm primarily looking for a fuzz pedal, that can produce 8-bit arcade sounds. I've found that bitcrusher pedals are one-trick ponies, whereas some fuzz pedals can produce those sounds but still perform a day to day function.

I've seen the Geiger Counter before and it's really cool, but too expensive. However, the CI might just be worth a look.

The Fuzzhugger/Mellowtone Wolf Computer is good.
Mr. Wire makes the "Fox Calculator" which is supposed to be like a Wolf Computer.

The Mid-Fi Glitch Computer is like atomic Digital Meltdown. Another good choice.

Aquinas

Silver Supporting Member
I'm primarily looking for a fuzz pedal, that can produce 8-bit arcade sounds. I've found that bitcrusher pedals are one-trick ponies, whereas some fuzz pedals can produce those sounds but still perform a day to day function.

I've seen the Geiger Counter before and it's really cool, but too expensive. However, the CI might just be worth a look.
I've been searching for "that 8-bit sound" for years, and honestly, I haven't really found it yet. Some mod'd simple fuzzes - the ZVex Fuzz Factory and DBA stuff come to mind - can get close, but still have a "zipper" quality, and are very hard to practically control. Honestly, I've found more luck with octave fuzzes...

Bitcrushers for guitar are also not the answer, though useful in-and-of-themselves. The "8-bit" thing is a combination of factors, factors which are hard to combine into a single pedal. There are some plugin combos (in a computer DAW) that can get closer, but that is a pain to do live...

I have a [standard] Geiger Counter, and it does things no other "fuzz" can do - and a lot that the Civilian Issue can't (I A/B'd them before deciding that the big one was THAT much more versatile). I'd highly recommend the full size over the civilian, if you want to go that route - you just can't get the subtler sounds as easily out of the little one!

Even though I have the GC on my board, I end up using my ZVex Octane 3 (similar to a Superfuzz) often to get a more "digital" effect than what I get out of the GC! The slight-but-controllable Ring-Modulation effect of an octave fuzz can be pretty cool to mess with, if hard to get your head around at first. It really is more about technique and note choice than the effect used, at least in my experience.

My advice, given that this is your FIRST FUZZ, is to get something like a Fuzz Factory and/or a Superfuzz/Foxx/Shin-ei clone. I think you'll get a lot more mileage out of them than a bitcrusher, and they will help you develop the technical skills necessary to really take advantage of what the more esoteric stuff can do. After all, you can pick up a decent Foxx clone (Fulltone Ultimate Octave comes to mind) and a Vexter FF for around the same price as a Geiger Counter!

(Not to say the GC is a bad effect - it isn't, and in fact I find it quite amazing. That being said, it is rather limited and tweaky, and I don't think it will give the OP what he is looking for as easily...)

chankgeez

Clusterfuzz. Not super bit-crushery, definitely more of a fuzz, but it has an 8-bit control. I just made a video to try to show what it can do:

I also really like the IdiotBox Death Ray and the SubDecay Noise Box and Harmonic Antagonizer. Those're all more envelope-y. Some of the FuzzHugger pedals are really nice too.

broken_sound

Silver Supporting Member
+1 on the Geiger Counter. Perfect fuzz for anyone that hates musical fuzzes and wants to make some noise.

coltonius

Señor Member

I've seen gut shots of the old BIT:Legend of Fuzz pedals.. There ain't no secret mojo inside. Certainly nothing to write home about!

DeadCell

The Subdecay Octasynth is pretty cool for arcade type sounds. My buddy just got one and it's a good time!

I think it's going to come down to this or the Geiger Counter, although the Octasynth is much more enticing due to price.
The thing is.... both of these pedals have shown that they can get in the realm of 8-bit arcade stuff, but they do it in different ways.
So I guess I'll ultimately have to decide between a synth or a fuzz.

I'm amazed at the sheer number of fuzz, bitcrushers, and synth pedals that advertise that they can accomplish the 8-bit arcade style. Devi Ever, Red Panda, Fuzzhugger, WMD, Subdecay, FXdoctor, EQD, and the list goes on.

Purple_Plexi

The Octasynth is cool! Was blown away by the sounds coming out of the guitar when I tried it. Tracks well and provides convincing synth sounds. Has unusable settings IMO. Preferred the EQD Bit Commander. Both are glitchy, I'd say the Bit Commander is easier to use. Much dirtier synth though :) Cool thing is you can isolate the octaves or "base" (fuzzy drive, square signal).

Check out this video game sound :D
(3:17)

I owned a devi ever legend of the fuzz. Its not really a bit crusher. It was alright, but not worth the 80 bucks I paid. I think i sold for 20 bucks on here. This is the old one too, back when devi was soldering them herself

Trending Topics