Good Book to Learn Guitar From

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by bobwl, Mar 2, 2012.

1. bobwl

bobwl Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not. I'm looking for a good book to use in order to teach students beginner and intermediate guitar. I have a lot of resources (Chord Diagrams, Scale Diagrams, etc) that I've been using to kind of create my own stuff but I'm starting to get more and more people interested in lessons. I was thinking about starting to teach from something more readily available. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some good resources out there.

If this isn't the correct forum please move this. Thanks all.

2. stevel

stevel Member

For the very beginner, I like the Hal Leonard Guitar Method.

For intermediate students, I found it more practical to assess where they were, where they wanted to go, and what they needed to work on. So no one book was a "catch all" solution.

Out of everything, I probably got more mileage out of those "White Pages" books because there were bound to be at least 10 or so songs any student would be familiar with and could work on.

HTH,
    Steve

3. bobwl

bobwl Member

Thanks, I use the Hal Leonard Bass Method when I teach Bass so I was considering the Hal Leonard Guitar. I know books aren't ever a be all end all solution, I just wanted something that I can use as a base and add on top of it so I'm not having to create and print out/copy everything from scratch like I do now.