Good buffer w/small footprint?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Super Locrian, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

Does anyone make a small, but high quality buffer pedal?

2. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

Lovepedal. I have one and it's about 2" x 2". I think, if he still is turning them out, they're in the $80 neighborhood. Sound great!

3. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

+1 on the Lovepedal
    I have a Doobtone microbuffer that I found from the builder on eBay a while back.... but I don't know if they're still available

4. benjammin

benjammin Member

5. Marty McFly

Marty McFly Member

Lovepedal and the Doobtone Microbuffer are both great, and very small.

6. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

Doobtone is still in the biz, he just sells direct and not on ebay anymore, price is 40 bones last time I checked.

You can contact Steve Dudley at Doobtone at

SDudley6760@aol.com

Cheers:BEER
    JK

7. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

good to know.... I highly recommend that buffer... works and sounds great. It was a pleasant surprise for me for the money.

8. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

The WOBO Buffer/Booster is pretty cool. A bit bright for me, but very nice.

9. kp8

kp8 Member

how big is the doobtone buffer? The MI Audio Boost 'n' Buff is like 5meg.

I am curious.

10. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

My current fave is a Germanium buffer - circuit from Jack Orman's site - uses an AC128 - fantastic sound - warm, wonderful. I like it a lot better than an opamp based standalone buffer.

11. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

I have a pedalboard with like 7 pedals on it. I've been playing for almost 20 yrs, and I've never heard of a buffer.

What is the purpose of a buffer?
    What is it, what's it do, and Y do I need one?
    :band

12. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

[​IMG]

it's in between the Throbak and the Blue Collar in this pic.... it's also small enough to mount under the rungs of my pedaltrain if I wanted.

13. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Bump.. Somebody help me!

14. meterman

meterman Member

It lowers the impedance of your guitar's signal, making it less susceptible to frequency loss as it travels through your pedal chain. In this case one would place it first or close to first in the chain, after any fuzzes but before as many pedals as possible. When placed at the end of the pedal chain it helps to drive your signal through long cables, again reducing the amount of signal and frequency losses. Many pedals that are not true-bypass have cheap, bad sounding buffers in them (Ibanez, Boss - well Boss isn't toooo bad). Even true bypass pedals can suck some tone, at least according to pedalboard-maker-to-the-legends Pete Cornish. Cornish goes so far in his boards as to give each pedal an individual tube-driven buffer! On the other hand, I don't use one, I have mostly true bypass pedals but my delay, at the end of my chain, is buffered which helps getting the signal through the cables to the amp. I've never tried a dedicated, high quality buffer early in my chain but I imagine it would restore some of the high end I lose when I go through my 6-10 true bypass pedals....

15. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

So let me get this straight...
    For years people have been preaching that TB is a must for retaining good signal fidelity, and now they're saying you need a buffer?

God, these signal purists have completely missed the point.

16. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Don't know if it's small enough for you, but the Axess BS-2 sounds great and has some nice features for signal split and phase.

17. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Buffers add a small amount of noise as they go. If you have 11 pedals with cruddy buffers in them, your signal will sound bad. TB gets rid of that, but your pickups can't push a signal through 70 feet of cable so there needs to be at least one buffer (preferably a good one!) to help the signal out. IMO having a good buffer and TB pedals will give the best tone - at least until the next fad comes in!

18. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

19. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There's more than just a buffer inside Ibanez/DOD/Boss pedals, there's also the complete circuit that doesn't completely disconnect when you turn the pedal off. This results in unpredictable and often negative tone effects. If you're running one guitar to one pedal to one amp, the true bypass idea works quite well. If you're running a bunch of pedals, signal loss can get noticeable even with TB pedals, hence the buffer early in the chain. Fuzzes need to be before the buffer to preserve the interaction between pickups and fuzz. Most pedals act like buffers when they're engaged, so using a 10' cable to a true bypass looper to a 10' cable will still give as good or better sounds than a buffered signal...

20. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I don't think I've seen this exact question asked before. A lot of buffers include a boost also. If you already have a clean boost pedal (in my case a Juaernig Luxury Drive) and leave it on all the time, does that accomplish the same thing as a buffer? Thanks.

John