• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

good, cheap multi-fx units worth hunting down?

Agramal

I've recently set up a fun practice rig in my bedroom for developing ideas (Blackstar Fly 3 stereo). Having my full pedalboard on the floor there though is a bit of the pain as I prefer to keep it in my practice space. So I've been thinking about picking up one or two older multi-fx units. Doesn't need to be Axe-FX quality or whatever, just good enough to facilitate songwriting when I want those effects.

I don't need something that focuses on lots of drives or amp modeling, since the Blackstar's tones are totally fine and suit my purposes.

I see that you can snag like a Line 6 M13 for under $200 used, but many of them seem to have switch issues, frayed power cords, or some other defect. What else is worth checking out? Older stuff from the Boss GT line? The DigiTech RP1000? Zoom units? Newer stuff? Any and all ideas welcome.

ogguitar

Zoom 70 CDR gets a lot of love for good reason.

I'd throw in the Boss GT series FWIW. They're ridiculously versatile and capable units.

Ugly Bunny

I've tried to go that route - I think you'll find that you miss the interaction with the actual pedals. Maybe see if you can't find duplicate/clone pedals of the ones you love?

If not, then yes; the MS70CDR has all of your time-based needs covered if you don't mind a few button clicks/menus. It's a pretty quick learning curve. Then you got the 50G for the rest of the stuff and just turn the amp sims off. Bingo Bango Bongo (I don't wanna leave the Congo no no no no no noooooo...). Cheers!

VHS analog

How cheap is cheap? My zoom G1 was 25 dollars. I still use it extensively. In terms of sound quality and portability it beats any Boss prior to a GT-10. Implementation is another story.

Agramal

Zoom 70 CDR gets a lot of love for good reason.

I'd throw in the Boss GT series FWIW. They're ridiculously versatile and capable units.
Yeah looks like one can snag a GT-8 at around the same price as the DigiTech RP-1000. Both are quite tempting.

AVWIII

Deeply in love with my zoom ms-70cdr. My distortions and delays are covered, so the zoom gives me the filters and modulation that I'm missing.

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
I walk the talk with Zoom multi-effects units. I still have the Zoom MS70-CDR and the Zoom G3. I would also like put a good word in for the Donner Alchemy, though. I was surprised at how good the effects sounded, given the paltry $39 I paid for it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom