Good, cheaper 335

Paul Conway

I have a good strat, but am thinking about a 335. Can't stretch to a Gibson or Heritage, so I'd appreciate suggestions.

Criteria are:

• Decent acoustic sound - happy to put in better electronics if warranted
  • A neck that isn't too thin
  • Doesn't require too much work IRO frets, etc
Cheers guys

martyncrew

Gold Supporting Member
Save some cash - find a Johnson Grooveyard (about $300) and then spend some money on the pickups and electronics. This guitar has a really well-done '59 profile neck.

humbuster

Ya know, yesterday I played a friends Epiphone Elitist 335 and was blown away. I have owned Heritage 535, ES335s and currently own Historic ES335. Now my Historic is no slouch of a guitar, but I gotta tell you, the Elitist was pretty damn good and I am giving serious thought to selling the Historic and picking up an Elitist and socking away the remaing cash. This is coming from a guy, who only owns made in the USA guitars. So this Guitar snob's world has been completely disrupted.

PKAZ

how about a used ES-333? You can find those pretty cheap. And it's basically an ES-335.

Also the Epiphone Elitist series are fantastic. The ones I've played (including an "assembled in USA" Sheraton that I own) are as good as any Gibson. Really.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Washburn HB35 that is a really nicely made guitar with a nice full neck, great rock sold bridge and Grover tuners. Pots & switch could use upgraded tho it works fine as is. I was going to change pups until I did some amp tweaking & got some of the best blues sounds (THE best slide tone!) I've ever had out of it. The stock HB's are quite low output (around 8K ohms), which is how I like 'em. $300 used mint with a hard case - you can find them for less but I liked this one. Best 3 bills I have ever spent on a guitar (I do have USA Fenders, Hamers, PRS, Gibbies, Parkers, G&L, Ric etc., so the praise does not come lightly).

daddyo

Ibanez Artstars-around $700 used; Ibanez AS 200 (essentially a Scofield) $1200 used. Both excellant guitars with good Super 58 pups.

Redrum

I'm continually amazed at the playability and tone of my Epi Elitist 335. It could have any number of names on the headstock and it wouldn't matter a bit to me - I'm completely over my need for a "real" Gibson 335. My Elitist appears to be everything I could ever want from a quality 335 style guitar.

For what it's worth.....

Mark C

I too have an elitist. I used to have a 66' 335, and I don't really miss it other than the snob appeal that a vintage item commands. The elitists are winners.

SouthpawGuy

Hi,
Here's a 535 for sale in the UK, 1200 sterling.
http://www.jamguitars.co.uk/heritagestock.htm

Here's my own 535 with matched Duncan 59's that I bought two months ago from Wolfe Guitars in Florida. The guitar is a beauty and is a joy to play, the sustain and tone are magic. Unplugged it rings nice and loud.

535lh01.jpg

I have bought a new Gibson ES335 dot in the past, it's gone now, I also owned an Aria semi, it's gone too. I have also tried an Epiphone semi lately but it felt very dead acoustically.
This one's a keeper.
Hope this helps.

Alambler

Silver Supporting Member
I bought the cheapest Yamaha version of the ES-335 and put Duncan antiquities and RS Guitarworks pots in it and I love it. It plays fantastic and sounds amazing and the guitar, case, and mods cost around $435 total. The guitar was made in Indonesia and was set up decently well when I got it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom