• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Good Clean Tones From Amps Not Known For Cleans

jrockbridge

Have you ever gotten good clean tones from an amp that others say cannot do clean tones well?

My example is a cheap Peavey Windsor 100 watt head through a 212 cabinet loaded with Celestion Vintage 30’s. I’ll admit, the sweet spot for clean tones is small but it’s there. No Fender or Vox cleans to be sure, yet surprisingly decent sound considering the amp’s reputation (guitars: Strat and P90 LP).

Some pedals known for being used as clean boosts (examples: Klon, Sweet Honey, RC Booster) don’t work all that well because they immediately add hair. Of course, the hair can sound great but it’s no longer clean. Setting those pedals at unity volume kills the magic IMO. Of course, a compressor pedal can work, not that it’s needed. The trick is proper amp settings, rolling off guitar volume and controlling playing dynamics.

The best pedal I found for enhancing the clean tones of this cheap rig is an Analogman Sunface. The SF brings the clean tones to another level. And the cleans can be enhanced even further by running the amp through a Fryette Power Station PS2.

Ok, the PS2 is a massive cheat. The Windsor can do clean on its own but it’s greatly enhanced by the the SF and PS2.

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Good thread.. There are so many

My Engl Screamer has a great Clean Channel
My Barons are known for their hi-gain but their Clean Channels are beautiful
My ORange OR120 clean's are incredible
My JTM45RI Modded by Don Butler has amazing cleans (I guess that wouldn't be surprising though) .
I had a PV Classic (late 70's 2x12 combo) and I put EV's in it. Great cleans
My Mesa Tremoverb clean channel is just great, plus you have the benefit of choosing SS or Tube rectifier with it, and bold or spongy for feel!

I could probably go on for ahwile, but will leave it for others :)

Eric

Last edited:

RyanPitch

Silver Supporting Member
You were shocked a $3500 boutique amp had good cleans?
No, I didn’t say I was shocked at good cleans. I said that I was blown away by how good they were. Most would buy that amp for its high gain sound (I was blown away by that too).

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Mesa Dual Rectifier Multiwatt. No joke. Some truly great cleans and crunch tones in that amp.
Marshall 2203/2204 with guitar volume rolled back, fantastic cleans, almost chimey.
Engl Ironball. That lil amp has a great clean channel that, combined with the attenuator, can also get into some tasty crunchy tones.
Germino Club 40 is probably desired for it's great bass spec crunch tones. But the cleans are beautiful, my fav thing about that amp.

Senor Forum

Platinum Supporting Member
My Dr. Z Jetta. This thing was advertised as a Rolling Stones rock and roll machine. The cleans are absolutely massive and beautiful.

AlanH

I actually really like the clean tone on the Marshall DSL40C, I have a Deluxe Reverb 68 and sometimes I think the DSL sounds just as good.
Yep, I use the green crunch channel set to give a clean tone when volume is dialled down or single coils are engaged. A great amp for covers band work.

Jabby92

Mesa Dual Rectifier Multiwatt. No joke. Some truly great cleans and crunch tones in that amp.
Marshall 2203/2204 with guitar volume rolled back, fantastic cleans, almost chimey.
Engl Ironball. That lil amp has a great clean channel that, combined with the attenuator, can also get into some tasty crunchy tones.
Germino Club 40 is probably desired for it's great bass spec crunch tones. But the cleans are beautiful, my fav thing about that amp.
Yup.. love the cleans on this Recto:

KiddBilly

I had a Egnater Renegade combo several years ago, and it had a surprisingly good clean channel. Fender like.

Old Mark 1 and 2 series Boogie amps have really good clean sounds. They were just basically modded Bassmans at that point in the company's history, so that isn't really surprising once you know that. But not everyone expects it. They think Santana tones when they see one of those, not spank and twang! Everyone forgets that a lot of country guys used Mark 1s when they came out.

Orange Rockerverb or Orange AD30.

The Rockerverb has a dedicated clean channel and may not surprise so much then (lush, rich, and mids rich clean are possible).

The AD30 really isn't known for its clean tones. But crank the master..... and roll up the gain to just before it starts distorting...... what a lovely, rich tone.

McShred

Vertical input JCM800 delivers some of the most amazing clean tones from HSS guitars in position 2 or 4. Inspiring!

scheffer

Silver Supporting Member
I'll second both the Rockerberb and Marshall 4 holer's people have already given nods to - I have a Rockerverb 100 MKIII that's really surprises me. More than that though I have a pretty beat up 1973 JMP Superlead that was modded to Superbass spec that absolutely floors me with how good the cleans are. Best cleans of any amp I've ever owned - and I've owned a bunch - to include pretty much all the classic Fender circuits. I also currently own a Two Rock Classic Reverb Signature 100 and I find myself liking the character of the JMP cleans more even though the Two Rock is phenomenal.

People regularly talk about how underrated Marshall cleans can be but until owning this JMP I didn't fully appreciate how true that is.

Last edited: