• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Good combo for Eric Johnson style tone

SmashingTuna

Hey all, I want to try to capture (or attempt to capture) that sweet E.J. Tone. I plan on buying a Dunlop germanium fuzz face. Should I go with the silicon one instead? What's the difference between the two? What should I get to pair with it (overdrive or delays)? Thanks in advance, I'm not sure where to start!

guitargod2u

uh why not ej sig fuzz face? its what he uses... i had one but didn't get along with it i prefer bc108 it seems. The ej sig uses bc183 which is silicon.

guitargod2u

i would also pair it with voodoo labs giggity and sparkle drive mod, probably boss dd-3 delay. It should cover all for ej

guitargod2u

either would be fine he has used deluxe memory man at times with old boss dd-2 for extra delay. If you can find a old dd-2 i'd get that over dd-3. Other drive pedals that pull off ej sound would include xotic ac plus,the new lovepedal dover drive,mxr fet drive,wampler euphoria on crunch setting,plimsoul, and really about any tubescreamer/clone 808. He has used a xotic ac and zendrive for his small board. I've seen pics of it when he has performed with oz noy. Lots of options to get you in the ballpark. Alot of it is wiring up strat with tone knob controlling bridge pickup. The cranked marshalls and fender twins for his clean sounds.

OotMagroot

Silver Supporting Member
I have been shopping some fuzz faces as of late (probably gonna get a Crosstown). I've been hearing more of EJ's older fuzz face tones out of the various Hendrix Fuzz Faces (I'm a big fan of EJ's covers of Hendrix songs). Kinda hearing some of that type of sound out of the mini red germanium one too.

Oddly enough, I'm not liking what I'm hearing out of the EJ fuzz face. I reckon it sounds like newer EJ (like something off Up Close) but I'm leaning toward the older stuff.

Mr. Limbic

Hey all, I want to try to capture (or attempt to capture) that sweet E.J. Tone. I plan on buying a Dunlop germanium fuzz face. Should I go with the silicon one instead? What's the difference between the two? What should I get to pair with it (overdrive or delays)? Thanks in advance, I'm not sure where to start!
Honestly the bd2 with some delay, and maybe a boost before it. There is a YT vid I saw of so wine using a blues driver and nailed it...

SmashingTuna

Honestly the bd2 with some delay, and maybe a boost before it. There is a YT vid I saw of so wine using a blues driver and nailed it...
I have a bd2 so I've got that going for me :rockin

either would be fine he has used deluxe memory man at times with old boss dd-2 for extra delay. If you can find a old dd-2 i'd get that over dd-3. Other drive pedals that pull off ej sound would include xotic ac plus,the new lovepedal dover drive,mxr fet drive,wampler euphoria on crunch setting,plimsoul, and really about any tubescreamer/clone 808. He has used a xotic ac and zendrive for his small board. I've seen pics of it when he has performed with oz noy. Lots of options to get you in the ballpark. Alot of it is wiring up strat with tone knob controlling bridge pickup. The cranked marshalls and fender twins for his clean sounds.
Why a dd2? Better chip?

ufo~

Used to use a combo of a TS808 pushing a Tube Driver w/RV-5 for ambience. Damn near nailed the EJ tone.

ChicagoJoe

EJ has a lead tone, which involves the Tube Driver going into the cranked Marshalls, and a fuzz tone (a fuzz face going into his crunchy rhythm set up). If you're looking at the lead tone, the Tube Driver or some kind of tubescreamer would work going into dirty Marshall tone. I used to use a Marshall DSL, but now I do fine enough using a C-bread DLS mkiii in Super Lead mode, then a clean amp. I also love the sound of the Jetter Gold Standard in Shift mode and the gain maxed out.

As for the fuzz tone, let me suggest the Solidgoldfx If 6 Was 9. It has the BC 183 transistors like the EJ fuzz, but I think it sounds better and is a little more versatile. It is great for getting Alien Love Child tones. That plus a cranked amp, or my DLS in Super Bass mode, makes me happy.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom