• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Good Daw and interface

gearmeup

Hey guys I'm in the market to get a new DAW and interface.
The last time it was kinda a nightmare.
I was using an Mbox and protools LE. There were a ton of glitches, static, freezing. It could have been the cheap PC I was using but then again many people on the Avid forums had the same issues.
I have to update versions the downgrade the back and forth whatever to fix the glitches they never went away.
It kinda took away from my creativity.

What is a solid DAW and interface package or separately?
Something reliable.
Thank you guys ahead of time.

loudboy

Anything with an i7 processor and 8GB of RAM should work fine.

The last record I did was on an XP duocore machine I got for $65 - worked fine, up until about 35 or so tracks and a lot of plugs when it slowed down a little, but still got the job done.

stump

I use Reaper and a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 interface with a MacBook Pro and haven't had a single glitch, even with about 100 tracks and plugins open. Reaper works great, I came from Cakewalk and Pro Tools, and is very reasonably priced. I chose the Focusrite interface after trying a Presonus, UA and a couple others. I really like the sound of the preamps, the user interface and quality of the converters, their support is excellent as well. My MacBook is dual I5 processor with 8gig RAM and standard hard drive. I'll be adding a solid state drive in the near future, but this machine runs flawlessly. I highly recommend Focusrite interfaces in any case. Good luck.

Social Exodus

Lone Wolf in Idaho
Silver Supporting Member
I'd recommend Propellerhead Reason 8 as a DAW personally, and I use an older M-Audio Fast Track Pro with it. Reason is $399 new, or you can get the Reason Essentials for less, but the full package is awesome IMHO. I also have SONAR Platinum, Reaper and Ableton Live 8 Intro, but I always gravitate to Reason because it is simple and really conducive to creative thought. I always feel like I am at work with SONAR or Reaper (I am a database admin) but in Reason, I feel like it's play time. I know it doesn't have the breadth of features of SONAR, PT, Cubase, etc but it makes up for that in approachability. The only other DAW that comes close in my mind to Reason is Ableton Live, but that is more geared towards live use as far as I can tell

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
RME has rock solid hardware, and more importantly, software drivers. Love their stuff.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member

loudboy

If you are going to stay on PC read this and follow it to the letter.

http://www.presonus.com/community/Learn/Optimizing-Windows-Vista-and-Windows-7-for-Music-Production

It's says Windows Vista and Windows 7 but it applies to ANY flavor of Windows.
Windows in not good for A/V production without optimizing it first.
That's why so many PC users have problems recording with DAWs on PC.
They don't know that they have to do some tweaks first to get it dialed in.
Good advice - I do this to any machine I'm using for recording, and they're always trouble-free.

JJ Fux

I am planning to get a Focusrite. As for DAW of my choice, it's Ableton Live 9 (although Logic isn't bad either). I'm still not even close to unlocking, and even realizing, its full potential, but I was able to grasp basic production knowledge rather quickly on Ableton.

Totally Bored

For Apple, Logic Pro X and an Apogee Duet is an amazing combination.

I imagine the Apogee Duet is amazing as many people seem to like it and use it here. My only problem with is it's $650 and it has only 2 inputs. I went with the Focusrite 18i8. 18 inputs and only $350.

Anywho, don't matter cause the op is a PC guy :bonk

jammybastard

Gold Supporting Member
Good advice - I do this to any machine I'm using for recording, and they're always trouble-free.
For 10 yrs I did the same. Had it down to a science because I was using & as well as building PC DAW's running PT & PTLE for clients.
It stopped 5 yrs ago I got my first Mac.
Not having to worry about optimizing the OS or keeping up with driver updates has been worth it.

loudboy

For 10 yrs I did the same. Had it down to a science because I was using & as well as building PC DAW's running PT & PTLE for clients.
It stopped 5 yrs ago I got my first Mac.
Not having to worry about optimizing the OS or keeping up with driver updates has been worth it.
Unfortunately, Sony sound forge is the critical piece of software for my gig, nothing on the mac side comes close, so I'm locked in.

It's super efficient, so I don't need a lot of horsepower. I'm running a Duo core w/4G of RAM, and it's all I need.

SRQGuitar

Gold Supporting Member
Presonus Studio One and whatever Presonus Interface that meets your needs channel-wise. The interface will come with an intro version of Studio One which you should upgrade once you decide you like the software. Presonus forums are very helpful for resolving any issues and there are a ton of very helpful youtube tutorials. I'm excited about their new interface, the Studio 192. It's designed from the ground up to integrate with the S1 software. You can install a dedicated USB 3.0 card in your existing computer and you should get good performance. Onboard FAT Channel allows for compression and effects without taxing your CPU and RAM which is good for lower end machines.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-192

There are many good options these days that would work but I think the Presonus is the way to go. Having the same company design the software and interface can hopefully minimize conflicts.

kcprogguitar

Presonus Studio One and whatever Presonus Interface that meets your needs channel-wise. The interface will come with an intro version of Studio One which you should upgrade once you decide you like the software. Presonus forums are very helpful for resolving any issues and there are a ton of very helpful youtube tutorials. I'm excited about their new interface, the Studio 192. It's designed from the ground up to integrate with the S1 software. You can install a dedicated USB 3.0 card in your existing computer and you should get good performance. Onboard FAT Channel allows for compression and effects without taxing your CPU and RAM which is good for lower end machines.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-192

There are many good options these days that would work but I think the Presonus is the way to go. Having the same company design the software and interface can hopefully minimize conflicts.
Studio one user here. The only real problem is...they're starting to act proprietary. For example, their iPad apps don't support audio bus...that's a pretty big deal.

jammybastard

Gold Supporting Member
Unfortunately, Sony sound forge is the critical piece of software for my gig, nothing on the mac side comes close, so I'm locked in.

It's super efficient, so I don't need a lot of horsepower. I'm running a Duo core w/4G of RAM, and it's all I need.
You're not locked in.
It's been available for Mac for a couple of years now...
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/soundforgepromac

SF is easy on the system because it's not a really a DAW.
It's stereo mastering, not multitrack record & mix like the OP was asking about.
I remember using v1.x back at the turn of the century on my Win XPsp2 machines to master tracks.
Super elegant and simple. Best product Sonic Foundry ever created.

JRC4558Dude

Anything with an i7 processor and 8GB of RAM should work fine.
Is an I7 really the minimum for a processor?

I'm looking to get a PC and a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4, and I'm looking at Reaper for my DAW.

Like most folks, I'm having a hard time figuring out what specs I actually need...

loudboy

You're not locked in.
It's been available for Mac for a couple of years now...
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/soundforgepromac

SF is easy on the system because it's not a really a DAW.
It's stereo mastering, not multitrack record & mix like the OP was asking about.
I remember using v1.x back at the turn of the century on my Win XPsp2 machines to master tracks.
Super elegant and simple. Best product Sonic Foundry ever created.
The Mac version isn't all that great, according to what I've read.

Also, where can you get a Mac for <$100 that's super-stable and does everything you need, like the PC I'm using now? <g>

I'll agree - it's a great product and it keeps getting better. Sony's made a real commitment to it.

Nothing else on the market even comes close, for what I need.

SRQGuitar

Gold Supporting Member
Is an I7 really the minimum for a processor?

I'm looking to get a PC and a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4, and I'm looking at Reaper for my DAW.

Like most folks, I'm having a hard time figuring out what specs I actually need...
It depends on what you are trying to do. Recording a track or two at a time with minimal VST's at a reasonable sample rate can be done on a very low end computer if it's set up right. Recording multiple, VST heavy tracks at high sample rates will probably not work well. A better processor gives you room to grow, If you are buying a new computer even the entry level I7's are going to be useful for a long time. Newer versions of software will always push hardware requirements as well.

If you live near a Microcenter they frequently have great sales on processors that are in store only.

JRC4558Dude

It depends on what you are trying to do. Recording a track or two at a time with minimal VST's at a reasonable sample rate can be done on a very low end computer if it's set up right. Recording multiple, VST heavy tracks at high sample rates will probably not work well. A better processor gives you room to grow, If you are buying a new computer even the entry level I7's are going to be useful for a long time. Newer versions of software will always push hardware requirements as well.

If you live near a Microcenter they frequently have great sales on processors that are in store only.
My needs are really pretty basic. I don't play in a band these days, and I'm not planning to record more than one instrument at a time. Just looking to have fun in a humble basement studio..

Trending Topics

Top Bottom