Good delay pedal for Acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by guitarpkr67, Jul 1, 2006.

1. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I'd like to add a delay pedal for some of my solos and was wondering what a good delay pedal for acoustic might be. So, what do you guys use. Thanks alot.

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I was looking into this a while back but didn't come to a decision...

That was a huge help, huh?

3. guitarpkr67

That's alright. I guess there's not many people that use delay with acoustic. I guess I'll have to go to the music store and try some out. I have a friend that's going to loan me a Line 6 DL4 to try. I'll let you know what I try out.

4. selahvie

selahvie Member

I do! I've actually been using a DL-4 for about 5-6 years and it works great. I also love using the built in looper with my acoustics. Others I know use the Boss DD-20 and really like that. They're both great, so if you can, try them both out and see which you like better. For me, I still prefer the DL-4. My $.02.

5. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I use the same ones I use for electric. A Boss DM-3 for ambience and a Boss DD-3 for doubling. Both work great.

6. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

I've been using a bit of delay on electric-acoustic for years. I've used a number of different digital pedals, but what sounds best to me now is my old Boss DM-2. It has a softer sound that seems to sound better with a piezo loaded electric acoustic.

7. Den

Den Member

Check out the Zoom A2 or A2.1u ... great delays designed for acoustic as well a load of other great effects and features for acoustic.

8. mitrich

mitrich Member

I've been using several analog delays like Maxon, Boss and Memory Lane. I like all of them on electric-acoustic with piezo pickup and I have never had any luck with digital delays since they are very noisy with pre-amplified piezo. However digital delays worked fine with magnetic soundhole pickups.

9. Bruce O'D

Bruce O'D Member

It's been out of production for about a decade, but the pedal I use exclusively is the Korg Toneworks G2 Acoustic processor. One of the most natural sounding pedals for acoustic and the best 12 string emulator I've ever heard. If you've ever heard the Sevendust/Staind acoustic version of Angel's Son, it nails that chorus/delay/12-string effect with one of the presets. Delay is adjustable from 35-280ms, above that it becomes more of a reverb (hall/plate) as more modulation gets added. Also has chorus, stereo output (with mono-stereo blend control), limiter, depth, tone, notch filter (great for knocking down feedback), chromatic tuner, and true-bypass. 9 presets, can be edited and stored. Built like a tank - I've gigged the same pedal in the acoustic trio I play with for the last 12 years and never had a problem. Phil Keaggy used one circa 1995 when he was using the LR Baggs Micro Duet pickup, last time I saw him at the Ram's Head in Annapolis he wasn't using it live, never got the chance to ask him if he still uses it for recording. Hard to find, but they do show up on eBay occasionally.

10. guitarpkr67

Thanks man, I may have to check that out. If it's good enough for Phil, it's good enough for me. :)

11. jyee

jyee Member

i use delay a lot (delay and chorus are my acoustic bread and butter). i currently use my ibanex ad-9 and used to use a zoom 507 reverb/delay multi-effects. i guess, just like with electrics, it all comes down to what you want to do with it. the ad-9 is great for short delay and reverb type stuff, but doesnt do long delays.

12. guitarpkr67

Is this the one with the four footswitches? I can't find much info on it. If it is the one with four switches I have the one made for electric guitar.

13. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

I've used pretty much every delay I own at acoustic-electric shows, excluding Echoczar and Line 6 DL-4 (both are too large for format, and perhaps a bit "overqualified"). Anyway, this would include Dan-Echo, Ibanez EM-5, Maxon AD-80 and AD-900, Analog Man-modded BOSS DD-3, BOSS DM-2, DLS Echo-Tap.

In choosing, I think much depends on how "warm" or "crisp" the basic signal is, assuming that it will be direct to PA. Analogs can be a bit murky, and subsequently lost in the mix. On the other hand, something like a (stock) DD-3 can be a bit crispy and harsh in the highs, as combined with a piezo pickup.

The most consistent compromise that I've found is to use an analog (or "analog-voiced" digital) - something with some high end rolloff - with a wetter mix level than I'd choose for an electric guitar and a tube amp. For a slow ballad that wants some conversational lead phrasing with some "air", I often go with a moderate mix level, and simply increase the number of repeats.

The DLS Echo-Tap has an internal level trimmer; if you only use delay for lead rides, and would also like to boost the signal for such, you can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

14. johnnySRZ

johnnySRZ Member

I've used my Memory Man w/ my Larrivee and it sounds nice and warm. I put the MM in the chorus mode for a little added shimmer. Works well..

15. msp

msp Member

i use a memory lane with my martin d35 and baggs dual source element system

i am looking at pigtronix's new delay pedal coming out so i can dedicate the memory lane to my electric pedal board

16. mindwave_21

mindwave_21 Member

What's the difference between a delay pedal for acoustic vs. electric? Anyways, I have a Guyatone MD3 that only runs about $100, but I find it to be very good with my electric setup. I don't notice any sterile tinniness, and you can get some crazy long delays with it. Bypass doesn't seem to be a problem either. Note when the unit is switched off, it doesn't decay out (like the BOSS pedals), but rather the effect shuts off.

17. Swirl

Swirl Member

I use a DL-4, Memory Lane and a TTE. Sometimes all at the same time :eek:

18. sage97

sage97 Member

My T-Rex Replica does okay with acoustic. I also have the Guyatone MD3 mentioned above. I've been meaning to sell it many times. However, every time I play around with it, it sounds great and it really didn't cost me too much so I keep hanging on to it.

19. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

I just started using a Gibson/Oberheim Echoplex Digital (with the Loop IV upgrade). Holy sh@#! this thing is AMAZING. Its a whole instrument in itself. Got a great deal on that certain online auction site. Well worth the investment.

Clem

20. Seegs

Seegs Member

I didn't really care for the delay pedals I tried with my acoustic...the signal was too hot and they sounded distorted...

I ended up using a small Mackie 1402 VLZ PRo as a submixer and a Rocktron Intllefex XL in the aux. loop and changing patches as needed with a midi switcher...for acoustic gigs I can now leave my pedal board at home with the added bonus of having more control over my sound...

Chow,
    Seegs