1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Good delay w/ tap tempo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tlester, Mar 7, 2006.

1. tlester

tlester Member

Hi all -

I'm on a quest (again) for a good delay with tap tempo. I've heard horror stories about the DL4. Mixed stories about the Echo Park. The Echo Tap looks nice, but then I heard the other day that it may be *too* dark.

Any thoughts? My biggest criteria is that it needs to sound good (no drops in volume, minimal if any degradation to the original tone, etc) and to be able to tap in the tempo. I don't mind paying some decent $$$, but I don't want to go nuts (i.e. no tape echo's).

Thanks,
    Thomas

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

My favorites are in this order (not including rack gear)...

Memory Lane (for Analog)
    DLS EchoTap (for digital)
    TC/TRex
    all others. :)

3. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I just got the DSL and really love it.

4. iggs

iggs Member

Memory Lane is fantastic.

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

memory lane is great, if you want analog tap tempo with a maximum of ~500 ms

for versatility (and reliability), you can't beat the Boss DD-20. Good price, good size, and good sound. You'll definitely want to invest in an external tap-tempo pedal, though

6. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

The new Marshall and Damage Control pedals look interesting...

I've actually tried the following:

Line 6 DL-4: Great variety of sounds. Excellent format. Sucks tone.

Line 6 Echo Park: Great variety of sounds. Buzzes like a hive of bees.

Boss DD-20: I used this for a long time. Mod and tape delay are cool. Tapping doesn't affect sound. Does really nice things in stereo. Sounds slightly processed/distant when compared directly to any of the following...

DLS Echo Tap: Really nice sounding (comparable to Boss DD-3). Tone control does very nice things. Missing a dotted eighth setting which is essential for me.

Diamond Memory Lane: Best tone control (hi cut or low cut). Effects loop. Sweet modulation. Dotted eighth option. The deal killer for me on this one is that it warps the sound when you're tapping. I sometimes need to tap during a song to sync with the drummer and in that context, the pitch change while tapping is bad.

* T-Rex Replica: Warms up your sound. Level control. Dotted eighth option. Mutes the delay while tapping (better than warping). I put big knobs on the delay and repeats pots so it's easy to control with your foot. Smallest footprint except for the EP.

* This is the one that I'm currently using.

7. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Wow, I have an early one when this didn't exist. Thats cool!

8. jman

jman Member

i like the DD5 as you can set the tempo while the delay is off...i assume the DD20 has that feature as well.

9. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

The Diamond Memory Lane.

Hands down.

10. Bradders

Bradders Member

I think it's already been said before but.....Memory Lane is sweet! :AOK

To the guy who's tapping tempo to be in time with the drummer - I have a quesiton -- how long before you have to tap again :D ( only kidding - drummers are GREAT time keppers, come on :eek: )

cheers

11. LPSlinger

LPSlinger Member

I bought a Boss DD-20 and I LOVE it. It has a bunch of great sounds and is very easy to use. It is quite full featured. If you need some strange delay sounds, the Line6 DL-4 is probably better in flexibility. If I was in an ambient space-rock band that used a lot of self-oscillation or something like that, I might have chosen to go with Line6. But for ease of use and reliability, I really think the DD-20 is second to none.

12. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Are you saying this only because your drummer is watching? :D

13. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

14. msp

msp Member

memorylane

i did own the dd-20 for a spell...it plays great but if you are used to a nicer delay it won't cut the mustard for sound quality

15. Madsman

Madsman Member

I think there's something wrong here... I don't think the Memory Lane does dotted. Unless there's something INSIDE the pedal to adjust, I haven't seen it, and don't see any info in the manual.

16. msp

msp Member

actually the dotted 8th is a mod that diamond does its not a stock option...

17. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Yea its a mod, they started working on the idea in the fall and wrapped it up around Christmas. I'm waiting to hear back from him so I can have mine modded.

18. KLB

KLB Member

One musical challenge with tap tempo is that longer delays usually need less level to be heard. The Replica has separate direct and effect outputs. You can use it normally with combined direct and effect through the effect output, or use the direct output separately and set the effect level 100% wet. Then, you can put a volume pedal on the wet output to control the level, going into a 2nd input or channel (or amp!) for the wet signal. It also lets you do things like put the Reverb only on the direct side with a separate delay tone in parallel, chorus only on the delayed tone, etc..

The Replica only requires two taps to set the tempo, which I prefer over four taps.

It can be a bit warm and bassy, even when not in Brown mode. It doesn't add noise even when placed in front of a cranked amp.

That said, the TC D-2 rack delay is more versatile than almost any floor delay pedal, and can be bought used for three bills or less.

19. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

+ 6.8 on Memory Lane!

Got one and I love it! Has made me sound so much clearer than with my old Memory Man.

Guys, I don't know about music theory so what is this dotted eight thing on the delay? What does it sound like and is there an example somewhere?

20. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Dotted eighth -- think shuffle/swing.

The only pedal I use a lot is a delay. Y'all are making me think I need a Memory Lane, tho' I'd want one of the longer delay ones (a black or blue.) I've seen them for sale, but not on the Diamond site. Anyone have any experience?