1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Good desktop recorder

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by goneracin, Oct 13, 2005.

1. goneracin

goneracin Supporting Member

Due to my situation and computers location, its very difficult to record on my pc, I wanted a decent desktop recorder, like say the boss br864. What are the better recorders in the $400 or so range? Boss, Korg, etc.
    Thanks
    Bob

2. TNO

TNO Member

I have a Tascam DP-01 that I like a lot. Under $300 new on ebay. 40 gig hard drive and it's got KNOBS, baby!

3. Bix

Bix Member

I was doing research on a similar product recently and was very intrigued by the yamaha AW16G. There's some good deals to be had on Ebay on these guys and they have a lot of functionality given there relatively low cost. A patient Ebayer can pick thi up in your price range if memory serves me correctly.

I ended up re-evaluating priorities and stuck with my Roland VS880...

Bix

4. TNO

TNO Member

I briefly owned the AW16G and it got sold fast because it was a VERY non-intuitive machine. You will spend all your time scrolling through menus to accomplish the simplest task.

5. Bix

Bix Member

Roland has done a pretty good job at building a challenging piece to work with as well! I like my Roland, but there sure is something to say for software based like protools and the ease of editing/working in that environment vs. these desktop guys.

Oh well, I own a Roland and I'm too cheap to buy into a new pro tools setup.

Bix

6. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Before switching to a ProTools LE system, I used a Roland VS-880 and then a VS-2480 with great results. While the editing is not as intuitive as the ProTools, rig, I can say that I have done many quality recordings with the Roland gear and recommend it highly. I would go as far to say, save your money and purchase a 2480. You won't regret it.

IPH

7. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

Bob, you should be able to pick up a used Tascam 788 in that range.

I had one, sold it, and ended up buying another one!

24-bit digital sound that is superb! Can also add a CD burner, convert songs to wave files, built in digital effects, portable, easy to use, powerful features, and there is a forum dedicated to that unit! You can go get great info/help 24/7 from people who have been using it for years...

I love mine...

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

My question isn't so much to fit a price point, but I want to play music not fiddle with menus. What's the most intuitive machine out there that's got decent convertors? Doesn't have to have a lot of gimmicks-no general midi, no drum machine, no backing tracks-just record and edit. Heck, I can live without onboard effects if the convertors are high quality! But I wan't to be able to use it as easily as I used to use my Tascam cassette!

9. TNO

TNO Member

Most intuitive=Tascam DP-01