Good desktop recorder

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by goneracin, Oct 13, 2005.

1. goneracin

goneracin Member

Due to my situation and computers location, its very difficult to record on my pc, I wanted a decent desktop recorder, like say the boss br864. What are the better recorders in the $400 or so range? Boss, Korg, etc.
    Thanks
    Bob

2. TNO

TNO Member

I have a Tascam DP-01 that I like a lot. Under $300 new on ebay. 40 gig hard drive and it's got KNOBS, baby!

3. Bix

Bix Member

I was doing research on a similar product recently and was very intrigued by the yamaha AW16G. There's some good deals to be had on Ebay on these guys and they have a lot of functionality given there relatively low cost. A patient Ebayer can pick thi up in your price range if memory serves me correctly.

I ended up re-evaluating priorities and stuck with my Roland VS880...

Bix

4. TNO

TNO Member

I briefly owned the AW16G and it got sold fast because it was a VERY non-intuitive machine. You will spend all your time scrolling through menus to accomplish the simplest task.

5. Bix

Bix Member

Roland has done a pretty good job at building a challenging piece to work with as well! I like my Roland, but there sure is something to say for software based like protools and the ease of editing/working in that environment vs. these desktop guys.

Oh well, I own a Roland and I'm too cheap to buy into a new pro tools setup.

Bix

6. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Before switching to a ProTools LE system, I used a Roland VS-880 and then a VS-2480 with great results. While the editing is not as intuitive as the ProTools, rig, I can say that I have done many quality recordings with the Roland gear and recommend it highly. I would go as far to say, save your money and purchase a 2480. You won't regret it.

IPH

7. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

Bob, you should be able to pick up a used Tascam 788 in that range.

I had one, sold it, and ended up buying another one!

24-bit digital sound that is superb! Can also add a CD burner, convert songs to wave files, built in digital effects, portable, easy to use, powerful features, and there is a forum dedicated to that unit! You can go get great info/help 24/7 from people who have been using it for years...

I love mine...

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

My question isn't so much to fit a price point, but I want to play music not fiddle with menus. What's the most intuitive machine out there that's got decent convertors? Doesn't have to have a lot of gimmicks-no general midi, no drum machine, no backing tracks-just record and edit. Heck, I can live without onboard effects if the convertors are high quality! But I wan't to be able to use it as easily as I used to use my Tascam cassette!

9. TNO

TNO Member

Most intuitive=Tascam DP-01