Good dirt box for a clean SS amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CitizenCain, Feb 23, 2009.

1. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

What's a good dirt box that will work into a clean solid state amp? Meaning, the box provides all the dirt, doesn't push the SS preamp into distortion.

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

What kinda dirt? Ones that I use: 90s Rat2, Big Muff, Hot British, Tubescreamer clones.....

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Oh sorry, from tweedy breakup to Marshally crunch. Don't need any high gain pedals.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

You can have a look at the utilitarian Rat. But for the love of jeebus, don't buy a current model!

How much are you willing to spend?

5. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'm thinking no more than $150. So old Rats are where it's at? :roll

6. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Check out the 3 following builders Lovekraft, Cmatmods, & Wampler pedals you`ll find what you want at these sites for sure!

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I would look into one of those Seymour Duncan Twin Tube pedals. Add some tube warmth to your sound.

dk

8. Birddog

Birddog Member

Before I switched to being a tube-guy, I had great luck running my Marshall Guv'Nor 2 into my SS Fender amps. It's dark enough that it takes some of the SS razor edge off, but bright enough to sound "tweedy" with the gain rolled back. With the gain rolled up, sounded good and crunchy. I still run that pedal into my Fender Twin when I'm not using my Marshall JVM for rock stuff.

9. _sjm_

_sjm_ Supporting Member

An '86 small box RAT is the only dirt pedal that I've found to work really well with my old Sunn solid state head. Fuzzes sound fantastic through it, but it's super picky with OD's.

10. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Amen! You got that right...

The best Rats you can get out on the market really are either an actual 80's Rat or a vintage RI. They have a smoothness and richness in its character that newer Rats can't seem to reproduce quite right. However, the 80's Rats and the Vintage RI, though designed to be the same, are two different animals. They both sound amazing but both have slight different tonal characteristics. In fact, each Rat I've played with even if they were the same model doesn't ever sound exactly the same. So you kinda have to play around with them if you are picky about what kind of sound you like.

As for the newer Rats, Rats that around 2006 and older were still good, as they were still being manufactured in the US. They aren't quite as good as the vintage RIs IMO but they are still decently good sounding pedals. Anything much later than those up to the current ones are pretty much garbage as they are now produced in China with cheaper parts. Go with the older models...you'll be glad you did.

11. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I would serioulsy consider switching to a tube amp first and goose it with a good booster or OD pedal. Why SS? Are you completely offput to getting a tube amp?

12. Starquasi

Starquasi Member

Barber Direct Drive or DDSS....super sweet that is....

13. Twin63

Twin63 Member

I recently had to use my old Fender Stage 112SE for a couple of gigs while I was waiting on tubes for my Gries 5. For dirt, I had a Lovekraft Mojo Drive, Barber BUEQ, and a Keeley Rat. I ended up using the Barber the most. It's very tweakable with the Dynamics control (tweedy to Marshally). The Fender has a decent clean channel...the Barber just sounded best to me.

It will probably be tough to find a BUEQ for $150, but you should be able to get a Barber Small Fry (based on the Burn Unit) well within your budget.

14. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I've developed some serious back issues and I just can't hack moving tube amps around anymore. Even a nice head and cab weigh enough to make me ache. I got a nice deal on an old Fender Yale Reverb recently. These came from the Fender Rivera-era and have great build quality. I replaced the stock 12" Emi with a Celestion G10S-50 and it seems that speaker is made for that amp. It's got seriously good sound and feel for a SS amp. So I've got a sweet 50w amp that only weighs 27 lbs.

The cleans are great, especially after the speaker swap. The OD when you really wind everything up sounds very smooth and compressed, a really nice sound actually. But, there's really no in-between OD/crunchy sound in the amp. And that's where I live a lot of the time outside of the cleans.

Hence my quest for a dirt pedal for this nice sounding SS amp :D Thanks for the suggestions, too. I'll be checking out as many of these as I can find.

15. jazzguitar14

jazzguitar14 Supporting Member

16. alguit

alguit Member

Yes to Blackstone!

17. norumba

norumba Supporting Member

+1 for that unit. sounds great in front of a Roland AC60 or Ac90, and would be good for a jc120 too.... sounds good in front of tubes as well, of course!

18. aftguitar94

aftguitar94 Member

+1 The DD makes my crappy SS amp that hates pedals sound pretty good.

19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

I have a Yale rvb, too.
    Mine is definitely a mid heavy amp.
    Had a v30 in it but it was too much upper mid push, better with 2 v30's, got a Fender spkr, looks like the original, sounds better but weaker, by far, sounds better into an Emi Legend 151......my point....Speakers are important..this amp (mine) is not typical Fender...it does od quite well for me on its own if vol, and master are at 9-ish and gain 4-6 (depends) but is loud there.....so with pedals... all are fine nothing special EXCEPT putting an eq in the loop gives control over the weak eq and middy voicing. Try that.
    It's the only Yale I've ever tried so I don't know if it sounds normal or not.

20. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'd agree with the importance of matching the speaker to the amp. I'm really happy with the Celestion G10S-50 in the amp. It's a very big sounding 10" speaker and seems better suited to the cab size than a 12". It makes the amp sound more open, less boxy than a 12". It's also a very loud speaker, much stronger than the stock 12".

You can tell the speaker matches the amp well by the tone controls. With the 12" I had to have fairly radical settings to make it sound OK, treb and bass pretty high, mids 3 or less. With the G10S-50, I can run all the tones at 5 straight across and it sounds great. I mean really great, clean, crisp and balanced across the whole range.

I tried my Visual Sound Route 66 (original version) into the amp and wasn't too happy with how that sounded. I have an OCD but it's out on loan right now, so it's good to hear that being mentioned. I used to have a Blackstone, wish I still did. I know that would work great.

I agree the amp drives nicely on its own at the higher vol settings, but mine tends to sound pretty smooth and compressed in that mode. I don't want to open a big bag of worms, but the D word comes to mind. The smooth thing is nice to have as an available sound, but I'd like something a little less refined than that too, if that makes sense.