Good distortion for punk type rock?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GoGoJonah, Feb 6, 2012.

1. GoGoJonah

GoGoJonah Member

I've been looking at Landgraff MoD's for a while but don't know if I want to dish out the $400 for it, especially since I have no way of playing it before hand. I'm in need of a good thick distortion for a heavy contemporary punk type sound, not metal or anything, just good and heavy. Anybody got any suggestions? I'm running through an old DS-1 now so any input would be much appreciated!

2. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

3. ultradust

ultradust Member

Sounds like RAT indeed.

Or possibly a MXR Distortion+ if your amp is already fat sounding and/or you also want that old-school punk sound along with your modern tones.

4. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

Chasing tones for punk, is so not punk rock. You could get a good punk sound out of the DS-1 depending on your amp of course.

5. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

Try the Barber Dirty Bomb. You can get a massive bass for palm muting and the drive can get really smooth and tight, and it won't die a wimpy death if you start playing some really fast DRI type hardcore. It nails Ramones through Oi! through 90s new school to Bad Religion contemporary. Tons of gain on tap with an internal trimpot for bass resonance.

I got all of this with a Les Paul Custom through a Fender Twin reissue(bright switch off) set totally clean. This is one seriously under rated pedal that can keep up with fast barre chord changes and jackhammer palm muting.

6. TrainBridge

TrainBridge Member

Paying $400 for a pedal is definitely not punk! Just keep playing through your ds-1 but maybe hit it with an overdrive/boost in front or something.

7. Hateandwar

Hateandwar Member

Wampler plextortion gets me my punk dirt.

8. J.T.

J.T. Supporting Member

Take a sharp object and slash your amp speaker. Turn volume to 11and play :dude

9. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

This!!

10. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

Most early punk stuff was just cheap guitar into dimed amp. Some would later use a Mosrite fuzz. It's not until the 80s-90s era that they started using lots of effects.

Punk is like the blues. It's really all about the attitude. The feel.

11. lamf

lamf Member

walk into a pawn shop and buy the cheapest fuzz/ distortion/od there.Thats Punk

12. john l

john l Member

What amp are we talking about here OP? I agree most of most of my favorite punk tones came from boosted amps but If your rocking a cleaner amp I say grab a rat and a Zvex Distortron and stack that poop. Theres tons of tones hiding with this combo no matter what order their in and both can be had cheap.

13. XISTH

XISTH Member

This thread deserves major facepalm. Punk type sound? Like JT said, slash your speakers (like Dave Davies), then your wrists, then your girlrfriend's throat. Steal your gear. It really doesn't matter. Above all, make INTERESTING and ORIGINAL music. If you're in a 'punk' covers band, I feel sorry for you.

14. 6789

6789 Member

It sounds like we're not allowed to ask questions about gear for a punk type sound. This seems to come up almost every time someone asks about it around here. Just curious, are there any other types of music that we shouldn't ask about what gear might be good?

When the Ramones got some money one of the the first things they did was go buy Marshall stacks, Ampeg stacks, better drum kits, P-basses plus spare P-basses. They wanted and bought the best gear available.

[​IMG]

15. StonieSlagg

StonieSlagg Supporting Member

Except for Johnny...

16. 56_Special

56_Special Member

What are you talking about? Johnny is playing a Mosrite into a Marshall stack. That is some fine gear if you ask me.

17. arem

arem Member

People who say "just grab cheap stuff and turn it to ten" are just showing their ignorance and snobbery. Most of the classic punk guitarists used great equipment that anyone should be happy to own. Besides Johnny Ramone:

Steve Jones/Sex Pistols - Les Paul into a Fender Twin
    Mick Jones/Clash - Les Paul into a Marshall Plexi or Mesa/Boogie Mkii
    Joe Strummer/Clash - vintage Tele or Esquire into a Music Man 2x12
    Brian James/Damned - SG into a Hiwatt

18. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

Agreed.

Being on TPG isn't punk rock either.

People like the music and want to emulate it, but also want to sound good and like good gear. What's the problem?

19. timmat

timmat Supporting Member

Can't stand the ”you play punk, tone doesn't matter” vibe. My Mosrites into my Marshall is a rock tone I'd put up against any. To the op, for a more classic punk tone, go for a Crunchbox. For a more modern tone, try the Tubezone. Both high quality from MI Audio, really affordable in the emporium.

20. surferfuzz

surferfuzz Member

Best post ever on this lame board.