Good distortion / Overdrive Pedals for BF Twin?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JBOTS, May 28, 2012.

1. JBOTS

JBOTS Member

Which are good? I like to use the twin with mid gain distortion and overdrive. Think of it as i'm creating two different seperate channels.

Yet a Tube Screamer wasn't bad. But a more organic/big distortion would be nice for rock stuff.

2. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

Mid gain out of decent fender....

ProCo Rat (gain 8-11 o'Clock (depending on pickups), Filter 11-3 o'Clock)

3. joel98z

joel98z Member

I use am MI Audio crunch box into the normal channel on my twin. I use the vibrato channel for clean.. And use and A/B box to switch between the two.

4. Ccooper97

Ccooper97 Member

I use a blues driver for a little extra juice or an OCD for some low gain, crunchy sounds, and then turn them both on for a HUGE nasty tone :aok

5. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

The Pedalworx Texas 2 step was designed to be an improved TS type overdrive. Although it is ow being used with all kinds of amps with great results, it was originally designed to overdrive a fender twin that just wouldn't break up.

[​IMG]

6. tapehead

tapehead Member

I'm not a user of Tubescreamers or the Klon Centaur but they get along very well with Fender Reverb amps. Also the Rat as mentioned.

Interfax Harmonic Percolator [germ/sil version] into an OD is my current setup. I use a clone into Telenordia TF-1 with a 70s silverface quad reverb.

7. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

Love TS pedals into Blackface amps. I have a Twin Reverb RI and it works great with those types of pedals, also loves my BB Preamp and Wampler Paisley Drive.

8. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

I love my the MXR Custom Badass Distortion through my Super Reverb and Vibroverb. Great pedal at a VERY reasonable price.

9. leonardrock

leonardrock Supporting Member

I have a '94 Twin and I'm currently running an Ecstasy (light/mid) and Plexidrive (crunch). I've also been stacking the two for leads as of late with good results in a live setting. I'm not too sure I like the sound though without the band behind it.

I tried boosting each pedal with an EP booster. Some interesting sounds there as well. Also working the volume knob on the guitar into the experiments as well. Both of the Wamplers are great with the guitar volume knob.

Not 100% sold on these pedals yet with my Twin but I've definitely found some good sounds with my Strat. They've been on the board for almost 6 months gigging 5-6 times a month, which is a good run considering I've been trying a lot of stuff during the past year.

With my Paul, I'm using the amp's boost and drive channels for dirt.....which sounds pretty incredible. I tried running both guitars through the stompboxes but they just couldn't find common ground, especially due to the different output levels from the pickups. Same deal with running both into the amp.