Good distortion pedal with a Plexi sound?

Turbo911

I liked the quality of Wampler Plextortion for JCM800 sound. What good distortion boxes could I try for an older Marshall Super Lead Plexi 1959 sound? I'd like to go with Wampler, but it's unclear to me if any of them deliver that sound?

DB.1992

I know that DMB pedals do a pedal called the ''Lexi Drive'' , supposed to be ''Plexi-ish voiced'' but not entirely sure if its the sound you're after. Brett Kingman does some great demo vids on youtube, See what yaa' think.

johnh

I'm not an expert on Marshall tones, but I have a Rockett Animal, and it sounds Plexi-like to me.

Echoes

Lovepedal purple plexi 100 is great for the old school Marshall tone and feel.

FLYING V 83

Gibson Geezer
I've had the PlexiDrive, Super Plextortion, and Plextortion from Wampler.
Also had the new CM Plexitone single (running alongside the Plextortion).
All gone now except the 5-knob Plextortion. To my ears, that's the sound I want.

RCM78

I just got a Carl Martin Plexitone (Single Channel) and it's pretty amazing!!! It's sitting next to a Wampler Pinnacle, and Bogner Red. All three of these are great in their own right but the Plexitone gives you that raw old marshall crunch... LOVE IT!!!

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I'm happy with the Bogner Blue for that application. Sounds remarkably close to my cranked Germino.

oxtone

I'm happy with the Bogner Blue for that application. Sounds remarkably close to my cranked Germino.
I just used my Bogner Blue today, and it ROCKED! I goose it with a Paul C. Timmy in front of it, and it is overdrive heaven! It is simply the best overdrive pedal I have ever owned, and I've owned MANY.

SReynolds

Silver Supporting Member
I just used my Bogner Blue today, and it ROCKED! I goose it with a Paul C. Timmy in front of it, and it is overdrive heaven! It is simply the best overdrive pedal I have ever owned, and I've owned MANY.
I'll second this. The thing amazes me.

sladest

Silver Supporting Member
zvex box of rock nails the jtm 45 sound and has a very nice built in boost

jgyn

Catalinbread DLS Mk II 'Super Bass' sounds like a gain extension of my Marshall Super Lead.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
Rockett Animal or JHS Charlie Brown are my favorites with a slight edge to the Animal for a more natural response.

I'm not an expert on Marshall tones, but I have a Rockett Animal, and it sounds Plexi-like to me.
Agree with this entirely. The Rockett Animal is really a solid sounding Plexi drive. With the 'snarl' switch up, you enter EVH territory. With it turned down, you get less bite sounding more towards older ACDC.

I had the DMB lexi drive but it didn't work for me. In a band mix it was rather 'small' sounding, not open and big like a plexi ought to sound. Moreover there appeared to lack the usual 'plexi sag' that authentic plexis have. The 'clean' knob was cool though!

Other plexi pedals that are amazing:

CM Plexi Tone
Menatone King Of The Brits
Wampler's stuff (plextortion etc.)

Never tried the bogner pedals personally but they seem to get alot of love here. Could check that out too..

If you're going for the JTM sound personally, the catalinbread DLS does it pretty well. The Zvex box of rock is decent too but can get abit too bassy for some.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
Of course, the best pedal for the job totally depends on the amp it's going into.