Good drum machine for recording

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by 59model, Mar 15, 2006.

1. 59model

59model Member

Just got my house fixed up from Rita, and bought an inexpensive Tascam with the built in CD burner, so I have some time now to get back into playing and songwriting. Any advise on a drum machine that is fairly easy to use that can put fills in on the fly. Any info is greatly appreciated as I can`t find any user reviews on this type of gear.

2. andyg

andyg Guest

Boss DR-770...easy to use/program, lots of good sounds....Certainly able to make real good sounding demos with this unit...

3. evanjackson

evanjackson Supporting Member

The Zoom Rhythmtrack Drum machines are great. Very intuitive and they have some great drum sounds. They also allow you to program the bass. I've had mine since they first came out and I really recommend it highly.

4. Aldwyn

Aldwyn Member

Another DR770 fan here. Great sounds, and when programed can sound very close to a real drummer. And it has more kits built into it then you will ever need!

5. RGN

RGN Member

I owned that Boss 880 (I think that was the model #) and it was good.

Great sounding and had built in bass and a bass and guitar direct recording system similar to a POD. I just prefered using loops and recording my own bass parts. It was right at $500 I think.

6. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Dr880 is what I've got and I like it alot. It's easy to program, gives good sounds, both drums and bass if you want. I just don't have to spend a lot of time monkeying with it to get going.

7. amper

amper Member

The only modern drum machine I have around is a Zoom MRT-3. Amazing sounds for only $100, but programming it is a real PITA. I would recommend you try to get a machine with individual instrument outputs, so you can mix it more effectively.

8. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

What would be a low-end drum machine to 'jam' with at home? (not thinking of using it for recording)

9. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    The Boss DR-770 has a "single" mono individual instrument out jack on the back, with the ability to send 1 or more instruments thru it at a time. One could conceivably sync the drum machine to a recorder via MIDI then record each separate drum instrument to a separate recorder track one at a time, thus allowing a better mixdown from the recorder/mixer. I have considered this, but instead opt to set the mix in the drum machine software. But from your last statement above, are you saying that there are drum machines with multiple individual instrument outs? That would be nice to have.

10. 59model

59model Member

BIG THANK YOU guys! I`ll look into the Boss units. I used to do studio stuff, and can`t do shi# on my own, so your help has been great! After 6 months of doing nothing but fixing my house I`m ready to have fun again. Thanks! +2
    :BEER

11. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    IMO, you really need to learn to edit the preset patterns or build your own from scratch. The presets without editing are kinda dull when recorded with a full band mix. I compress with a 3 band compressor and eq when tracking, sometimes have to add high end to get the drums to cut thru the mix. Also, the crash cymbals on the presets are a joke. You will need to edit the decay and volume parameters on these, basically turn them up and give 'em some air. Even then the cymbals leave much to be desired. I also turn off the reverb send level on the kit, but sometimes add a slight touch of chorus (set chorus send level to 3 on scale of 1 to 9). The onboard chorus adds apparent ambience without reverb. I then add reverb, if at all, from the board in a send and return loop. One other thing, you can adjust the velocity setting for each note played from each kit instrument. This is very helpful. Often, the hi hats and cymbal velocities are set way low, and they don't cut thru the mix well. Turn up the velocities for instant improvement. Everything I've written refers to the Boss DR-770. I haven't used the 880 yet.

12. Rich T Fingers

Rich T Fingers Member

For the low end I would recommend the famous Alesis SR16, now available very cheaply.
    The sounds are the best feature, very real and convincing. Easy to programme too, stereo and midi - a real classic that still stands up against great machines like the Boss DR880 and yet can be had - new - for a third of the price.