Good Electric: $300-$600?

jbp

Silver Supporting Member
Hey folks-

My nephew wants to make the move and buy an electric guitar. He's been fooling around for a year or two on acoustic and I think having an electric guitar might seal the deal in terms of his commitment level. :dude

Anyway, I used to sell guitars for a living, but have been out of that game for quite some time. I could always tell him, "Buy a Fender" (which might be a good option), but I'd love to offer him a more informed opinion.

Can you recommend some good electrics in this price range? Perhaps something on both the low and high end of this range...

As always, many thanks-
J.B.

RDM

Get a Reverend. They're on the high-end of your price point.....but you won't have to do the mods that let's say an Epi LP would "require." Those import Rev's and rocking right out of the box.

smorgdonkey

For $600 on the used market you can get SO MUCH!! Too much to list. If he doesn't know what sound he particularly likes...what look does he like?
-I see used USA Strats for $600 sometimes.
-LTD 400 Series and up...any model.
-Ibanez makes a tonne of guitars that are in that price range new.

That's a good start.

dkals

Schecter C-1+. $550.00 at G.C.

Quality guitar. Covers a lot of range. Dual humbuckers. Plays blues/clasic rock/metal.

JZG

Silver Supporting Member
Reverend for sure. I hear the new Fender Classic Player Strats and Baja Tele are really nice too. Maybe an import PRS? There should be a lot of good options in that price range.

MetalHeadd

Plenty of Schecters and LTDs in that price range new. The Reverends are nice. Some used japanese Jacksons/Ibanezes can be had in that range, too, that are mighty fine guitars.

P90Nut

Reverend hands down for a new guitar.
You could find a used American Fender Stratocaster for $550.00 - $650.00.

Good luck,

Mark

jharpersj

Gold Supporting Member
Not a big fan of the LTD's, I think the Schecters and PRS SE's are a great way to go, buy used on craigslist !

smorgdonkey

Not a big fan of the LTD's, I think the Schecters and PRS SE's are a great way to go, buy used on craigslist !
Just a short note...many of the 'style' elements of Schecters are from ESP/LTD. Since ESP bought Schecter they say that it is run as a completely distinct operation but the evidence is all over the guitars themselves. So really, it is difficult for me to see how somone could be a fan of one but not the others...they even feel incredibly similar.

c-dub

+1 on the import Reverends. Best bang for the buck out there and the ones Ive had favorably competed with many of the high dollar guitars I have owned. Plus, he can choose from a number of Fender style boltons or Gibson style set necks.

cottoneyedjoe

Did we say Reverend?

I just got a FlatRoc. Probably the best $600 I have spent.
The neck is like butter. The sound is great also.

odd.lee

Get him a LP copy. The Ibanez, Burny, Tokai or Greco guitars are great.

I found this while browsing.

Look into the MIJ Fender guitars.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
second the MIJ Fenders. Plenty of nice used ones of every type on ebay right now in your price range.

Top Bottom