Good Electric: $300-$600?

Doodad

In that price range used there are tons of options. Best I saw was a CIJ tele that was $600. I would have if I could have it was that good. Also, you can find well setup and loved MIM Fenders. My strat was $200 and someone had spent some money on it.

New: Rev as mentioned, Dano, some Gibson models.

Shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
I never buy new anymore. You can get some great instruments on the used market. Look into a G&L Legacy. You can find these in that price range. If he wants to add a good humbucker, you can do that in the cheap as well. You can actually get him an instrument that will be a keeper for years!

kludge

The droid you're looking for
Moreso than the guitar, what kind of MUSIC does he like? What bands does he dig? Does he have an established style or taste yet? There are a gazillion great guitars in that price range, both new and used... rather than buying what's "best", buy him the one most likely to make him play.

smorgdonkey

+1 to shred and G&L. Man for the money you cannot beat a nice used G&L!
For sure. I got a Tribute Legacy Premium for quite a bit under the bottom of the posted 'price range' for this thread...$258 plus shipping...!!
LegacyPremium.jpg

rivaeast

1st choice would be a Reverend. The used market seem to have several listed on here right now. I own a jetstream HB with a wilkinson Trem. Also have on order a new model called the double agent.

2nd Schecter the diamond series can he had for a good price. I own a C-1 E/A now and my son got started on an S-1

3rd. SE line of PRS not my fav but the seem to have a nice following

I'd say +1 on the used Hamer imports. There's a lot of guitar there for $250.00 (ebay). I like them better than the entry level Epi's.

The Strats are good simply for the fact that every part is replaceable or upgradeable.

Either way, once your nephew get's going, an upgrade of pickups and tuners for either will make a big difference.

I already have 2, but saw this one going for $249.00 (didn't see anything about a case, though)

1465.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hamer-XT-Series...ryZ33042QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

P90Nut

I should have mentioned this earlier...I think that the new Gibson melody Makers are terrific values. I have not played one but the reviews are pretty good. I think that the two pick up version is still less than $400.00.
The sound clips are pretty impressive.

Mark

mad-axeman

My vote is for a CIJ Fender Strat Hot Rod ReIssue; obviously needs to be purchased used, but a very well rounded axe. Comes with contoured heel, original Floyd Rose, H-S-S with coil tap, slimmish neck.

Some searching would be in order, but I purchased both of mine for under 500.00. Strats crafted in Japan in the 90s are very nice quality, IMO.

Trotter

big +1 on the Reverend... or perhaps a used Epiphone Elitist... both are a whole lot of guitar for little coin.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
"Moreso than the guitar, what kind of MUSIC does he like? What bands does he dig? Does he have an established style or taste yet? There are a gazillion great guitars in that price range, both new and used... rather than buying what's "best", buy him the one most likely to make him play."

Yes, yes to the quote! If he doesn't thingk the guitar is "cool" and looks great and looks like it fits the music his idols play, it isn't going to matter so much how great it plays or sounds. Find out who he listens to & what they play & go from there. You just don't want to get a metal guy a Tele for example. It has got to look the part for a young dude.

joejoe

Have both Godin and Reverend under my roof, and can vouch for both. Both on the higher end of your budget new; could do very well used.

chrisrob

Yes, his genre would change things.

I would be disgusted if you brought me home an Ibanez shredder...I would be elated if you brought me home a Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat (a decent new option). But lots of people want a nice locking trem and abrasively high output humbuckers.

My vote without knowing is a Fender Toronado Deluxe. Beautiful guitars. Hard to find but it'll probably be worth a little more than you paid for it later on. This ones mine...its not for sale.
f662_1_b.jpg

I woulda rathered have the black one probably.

Jonnyunitas has one for sale for $400 dollars over at guitargeek. I thought about picking it up...i couldn't justify two of them.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom