Good entry level child size electric?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SteveStevens, Jan 28, 2008.

1. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Long story short: I taught an 11 year old tonight who was a very small human being. The parents haven't bought him an instrument yet, so I let him use one of my guitars. Well, even with the strap jacked all the way, the only way I could get him to fret an e minor chord was if i held the guitar in the perfect position for him. (Stevenson Tele style fwiw...) Can anyone recommend a small (3/4 size maybe?) electric that doesn't suck? Preferably something thart would be available at your average mainstream music store. I live in Montreal, so the stores would be Archambault, Steve's or Italmelodie. Help!

Steve

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Mini Squire. Bought one for my 9 year old and I was pleasantly surprised at what you get for around $100. I plugged it into my amp and I still sounded just like me.

3. jbbusybee

jbbusybee Member

I just bought my daughter a Daisy Rock. It was the Wildwood acoustic starter pack. The guitar finish was good with a few glitches, but I thought the design and scale was pretty good. I think they do some guitars that are quite 'unpink'.

Hope that helps.

4. straightblues

straightblues Member

I will second the Mini Squire. It is a good instrument that plays well. In fact, I play it out now and again. It is a real instrument. Many in this size range are not.

5. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

i tried a couple of the 3/4 sized guitars and felt the intonation was just too wonky to really be able to play much on them. what i ended up getting was a danelectro pro... it's got a shorter scale length (maybe 24 & 1/2") and the bridge is moved way back in the body so it feels like a 12 fret acoustic when you hold it. my 8 year old can handle it pretty well and it's something she won't outgrow. heck, i like playing it too. they come in lots of cool colors and are around $300 list (if you look around you can find discounts). pretty well made too and fairly easy to play. my one caveat is that it doesn't stay in tune great but for the money it's hard to complain. hook it up with a vox pathfinder 15r and you've got something!

6. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Actually just ended up having the mom order a Ibanez Mikro in white with a black pickguard. Looks pretty rad, actually! Thanks for the replies! Actually!

Steve

7. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

mini squires are very cool..............plus once they outgrow them (like my daughter did) you got yourself a righteous travel guitar