Good EQ pedal????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Apr 13, 2008.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hey guys!

I realized I can't use my Boss (modded by Monte Allums) GE7 because it is not line level. :confused: I love this thing though...

So what is a good alternative? MXR 10 band EQ?

Thanks!

2. burner

burner Member

I horsed around with the MXR Kerry King EQ and I thought the world of it.
    Haven't bought one yet....

the EQ's I've always been happy with have been the Scholz Rockman EQ and the Boss half-rack graphics and especially parametrics

3. jb1911

jb1911 Member

MXR M-109 6 band is a great eq pedal.

4. lazy912

lazy912 Member

i got a MXR 10 band EQ. pretty decent.

5. influence

influence Member

6. papersoul

papersoul Member

It has to be a pedal and have on/off.

So, Barb EQ, Scholz Rockman EQ, Kerry King, MXR 6 band.

Which is most natural, smooth and not processed sounding? My modified Boss sounds good but I can't use it.

It has to work with line level as well. This is only for lead boosts...so mids!

7. papersoul

papersoul Member

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

The Barb looks nie but does it boost for mids well?

Are there any boutique quality EQs?

9. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

Antelope Morning Dew EQ, no longer in production.

10. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

no love for the BYOC 10 band?

11. Dave

Dave Member

It has controls for treble, mids and bass as well as a 3 position voicing switch. It works great as clean boost too.

All of Dave Barber's stuff is definitely "boutique" quality.

12. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I used the BarbEQ in a number of configurations for about a year. Some things to consider:

There is a strong presence boost regardless of treble or 3-way switch settings. You will not get a non-effected tone with the pedal engaged.

Out of the three settings, the "marshall" setting seemed to have the least coloration overall, as I found the blackface and tweed settings to have reduced mids (most on the blackface of course).

Lastly, the mid-boost seemed to have a pretty wide Q to it. If you are looking to boost just high mids or low mids, you may not find the exact effect you want.

Not slamming the pedal however, it treated me quite well for that year, and allowed me to get a nice clean tone from my little Supro tweed. Used it with my two combos with TMB eq's for good effect as well. My point being, if you want a dramatic tone shaper, this is a great pedal. Otherwise, there are other options you may want to consider.

joe

13. Julia343

Julia343 Member

14. papersoul

papersoul Member

Wouldn't a graphic EQ be best so I could leave it flat if I want for a plain boost? i want something smooth and natural and preferrably graphic, like the old MXR from the 70s. They sound better than the new ones! Problem is, they have no on/off.:(

What I am looking for is something as natural as possible with the ability to shape the sound for solos. Problem is, when jamming with friend at a session, I want to be heard when I kick in a lead. Funny thing is, I have a friend who uses nothing, just his Marshall on stage and hopes the sound guy will turn him up for leads. I guess it has worked so far for him although the last gig I forgot to watch the sound guy to see if that was the case. Maybe it is the nature of Marshalls and EL34 tubes that allow you to stand out no matter what. I also jammed with a guy who played a marshall half stack and he always stood out for leads. All he had was a Marshall distortion pedal, marshall echo, and Boss compressor. I know the distortion wasn't giving the boost. Maybe it was the compressor.

Should I go a different direction? Advice?

15. ToneJamFX

ToneJamFX Member

I now mod the MXR 10 band EQ's if you're interested.

16. papersoul

papersoul Member

Do they sound better than the Boss EQ(GE7)/ I have a modded Boss, but it sounds processed like I am playing through a Boss pedal, LOL.

17. papersoul

papersoul Member

18. ToneJamFX

ToneJamFX Member

LOL!

I think they sound great, but of course my opinion is gonna be biased.

I just started modding, and selling them, so I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on them.

19. d-b

d-b Member

I actually gave up on my eq search but this makes me want to try again. Is it just me or is there really limited choices in the graphic eq pedal market?

20. papersoul

papersoul Member

Ha! Well, my friend's vintage 6 band MXR sounds great!

Can you mod the new ones to sound like the vintage version? If you mod the new ones, what does it do to the sound?

What about installing a switching on an older one?