Good First Starter Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sgguitarzz, Apr 7, 2008.

1. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

My son has decided he wants to learn how to play a little. Now he not some little kid as he just turned 21. I am really glad he wants to learn to play and will show him some things and get him something to get him started (kind of a birthday present). I have gone down to GC and played a bunch of Epiphones, Ibanez and Squires. I am not looking to spend too much ($200 max). I liked one Epiphone Les Paul Special II but the body was damaged. It had a great neck and sounded pretty nice. I did not like the Squire at all but I have never been a big fan of Fenders. The one I have found that I liked for the price was the Ibanez GAX70. It has 2 HB's and a really nice neck and Agathis body (kind of a cheaper Mahogany like wood). This seems like it can be a good starter and if he continues a few mods might make it a much nicer guitar.

Any opinions?

2. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

3. weeladdie

weeladdie Member

Take a look at www.rondomusic.net and check out the AL-2000 models.

Great guitar for the money, and not just a starter, should last quite a while.

4. sgguitarzz

5. bynt

bynt Member

What kind of music? If he really likes Metal, obviously a single coil guitar might not be the best choice.

For 200.00 though I'd say definately go used if you can.

Shecter, Ibanez, Epiphone, all these can be really decent. Caveat emptor though, play them first!!!

6. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have students and some of the guitars are: Samick (nice guitar) Fender Mex strat, Epiphone G-400 (SG), Ibanez, Epiphone Dot

7. sgguitarzz

Well I ended up getting this Ibanex GAX50 off of Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350043256556

It is the same as the GAX70 except that it only has one set of volume and tone controls instead of two. I figured it was a great price and a decent guitar for him to get started with. In time a few mods can be done if necessary for a few improvements.

8. KCWM

KCWM Member

I was going to suggest a Mexi Strat. They pop up on the local craigslist here from time to time for that.

9. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I thought the Mexican made Strat was a good beginner guitar. 15 years ago I was do glad that I managed to not have to pay additional taxes that year, I celebrated by buying a Mex Strat for variety - I had been a solid Gibson guy. I was so pleased with the extra tones that I ended up with several fenders (SRV Strat, a Strat Plus, American Telecaster). I kep the Tele and also got a Suhr Standard - it's like a Strat, only better. :)

All of that quickly moved beyond the stated $200 investment. If your son likes his, he can decide what direction he wants to go in. If he doesn't take to guitar, you can sell and not lose much money.

10. sgguitarzz

Exactly. I figured for this money it was kind of a no brainer with no real risk. I paid the guy right away via paypal so he said he would be shipping it out via Fedex today. I will let you guys know how everything goes once it shows up.

11. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

MIM Tele or Agile Tele or LP copy from Rondo - http://www.rondomusic.com/

I own several USA guitars (Hamer, Fender, sold my LP's), my MIM Tele is my go to, and my Agile 3100 LP copy is one of my Favorites to play. I've owned tons of great guitars, and have played for 25 years, many seriously some not so, but I do know good guitars and sounds. These really are good guitars.

12. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

13. sgguitarzz