Good foundation for beginning metronome training?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by elicious, May 14, 2015.

1. elicious

elicious Member

Hello!

I have been doing a lot of reading in this sub-forum and it's become my favorite here on TGP! Not only is it informative for me as a "self-taught" guitarist but it's the one place where the difference of opinion is usually one of approach and is always constructive!

My most recent takeaways are these:

1) The practice of a given technique for 5-10 minutes per day for one year can yield a substantial progress.

2) I need to work with a metronome.

I have tried doing metronome work in the past since it's one of those things we're "supposed to do" but it's bored me pretty quickly.

My question is:

What do you recommend as a good starting regimen for metronome training?

I assume that 4/4 is a given but at which BPM? I intend on revisiting basic major/minor key fretboard familiarization (scales/intervals) while I do these exercises...two birds with one stone, and all that.

I generally play with 50s and 60s style of blues, funk, and R&B, although I do experiment with other flavors, too. Point is, I don't do shred.

If I'm approaching this excercise routine as a beginner, what would a good starting point be?

Thanks for your time!

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Here's a couple things -

1. Think of the clicks as beats 2 and 4
    2. Set the metronome super slow. Sight reading stuff at 40bpm is brutal!
    3. For real long spaces, try to play phrases with 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 notes per click.

3. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    As far as tempo, you generally figure out about how fast you can already play it (at least most of it) cleanly and evenly, then go from there.

The suggestion for setting the metronome to 2 and 4 (or 1 and 3) is a good one, but I wouldn't mess with it until I'd been working with it on every beat for awhile.

4. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

There have been recommendations for good on-line metronomes but I failed to bookmark them before. What is a good one?

5. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

elicious,

I added practice with a metronome about 3-4 weeks ago. There are a variety of youtube videos of metronome practice techniques/exercises. I recommend you watch 2 or 3 of them for ideas. The first few days, I used 60bpm (1 second intervals). After two or three days my collection of 1/4, 1/8, 1/8-dotted, and 1/16 note exercises started becoming familiar so I now daily choose a new metronome rate anywhere from 50-70 bpm as my guide timing. I suggest experimenting to find a bpm rate that isn't too fast or to slow for you to familiarize your different exercises, then play with the bpm speed after you get comfortable with them. Personally, I think it can be a little more challenging to slow the metronome down versus speeding it up.

Hope that helps,

Fretsalot/Scott

6. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

What benefit do you think working with a metronome will bring to the party?

7. elicious

elicious Member

I'd mainly like to add "plays well with others" to my résumé :cool:

Also, it would be nice to hit the pocket more easily when I'm playing JB'esque motif stuff.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it!

8. LukasK

LukasK Member

Very good online metronome is this one: http://a.bestmetronome.com/

There is also a great app by Avi Bortnick (guitarist in John Scofield band) called Time guru: http://avibortnick.net/time-guru/

A while ago I've created an in-depth guide on how to practice with a metronome. You can check it out here:
    http://theaspiringguitarist.net/how-to-practice-with-metronome/

middlechainringguy likes this.
  9. JonR

JonR Member

10. middlechainringguy

middlechainringguy Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member