Good, fun, cheap shredders.....what's out there?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimfog, Jan 14, 2008.

1. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Hey,

Had an Ibby RG570 briefly and mistakenly sold it. Not really my style, but I had a blast with it, and it was great to have around for my students.

What else is out there, not too expensive, but solid?............must have a Floyd, fast neck, and not TOO pointy.

I'd like to keep it under $500, if possible......but might go higher for something that's more of a serious instrument I could gig with..........ie, I also have my eyes on a Fender Beck.

Thanks!

- jim

2. matte

matte Senior Member

hamer diablo

3. Mudder

Mudder Member

Hamer had several shredders in the 90's, all of which are phenomenal.

Diablo
    Chapparal
    Californian

You could also look for a US BC Rich Gunslinger or STIII. Both great shredder, the epitome of hair metal.

Those RG series Ibby's are the prototypical shredder of course, but similar are the Charvels from the same time frame. The US models will be spendy but the Japan made Model series are very solid guitars.

4. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I recently had a Schecter Hot Rod 39 that fits the bill. Played fast, with new pups would sound great, and can be found for less than $300 but having picked up a bunch before I found "the one" I'd recommend buying in person rather than on ebay.

5. bynt

bynt Member

+1 on the Schecter. I don't know much about the Hamer but I can say that pound for pound, Ibanez is still the cheapo shred king as far as what I see in the store where I work. Not my cup of tea (so I'm not hip to the model #'s-sorry) but any of my students who want to shred and are looking for a guitar, I'll almost invariably point them towards the Ibanezes.

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

7. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

That'd be the Fender HM Strat.

The Fernandez Revolvers are cool too - Floyd, Sustainer, can be had for under $400.

Peavey Vandenbergs are great shredders for around $450.

8. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

[​IMG][​IMG] and it plays well with others.... [​IMG]

9. FUSER

FUSER Member

A used Brian Moore i8 or i9.
    I have the i8, 15" Radius, medium frets, thin neck, JB and Alnico Pro pickups, locking tuners. I believe i9f has a trem.

I got mine for 300 on ebay with case.

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Didn't Washburn put out a line of USA made Jackson designed shreddies that were killer but sell for around $500 used now? MG?

11. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I been eyeing the AXL BadWAter series...they go for about 149 on ebay....seems like a good budget shredder...

12. PFCG

PFCG Member

you can find used parkers on ebay for cheap, any fly model will do, even nitefly, but id try to get a fly. you could gig with a fly all over the place with any style.

13. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

+1,000! You can get Diablos for around $400 and Centauras (which are SSH as opposed to HH) for a bit less. I've never played a Centaura, but I've owned a few Diablos (and currently have one) and they're great!

-Austin

14. Mudder

Mudder Member

There's a pretty nice Diablo on ebay right now, cherry with reverse head, '93 I think, for $500 BIN or best offer. I'm not associated in any way.

Great guitars.

15. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

I'm surpised no one has mentioned Charvel's from the mid to late`80''s
    I just got back from a vacation in Tulsa Ok. and was hitiing a few of the local pawn shops down there and ran across a late`80's Charvel (I belive it's a model 2A or 3) This one has the two humbuckers with the bolt on neck with the Jackson Floyd Rose and Khaler type lock nut. Wow!, what a great guitar! I totally forgot that I use to like these guitars!
    I've been playing non strat style guitars without locking trems for quite awhile now and just forgot how fun these guitars were to play.
    Oh yeah, I got it for less than $300.

16. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

what about steinberger?!?! Their reissues are like $600... used ones easily fall in your range.

17. jimlp

jimlp Supporting Member

I am selling a Red Japanes made Charvel Model A on the for sale page, price is somewhat negotiable.

18. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I have had a few Hamers (Chapparel and Califorian) that were great shredders.

Ibanez has some shred choices, anlong with ESP. I did not like the more recent cheap Ibanez guitars I tried.

These are imports with a list price of $599 to $740 (street should be in your price range):

http://www.usmasters.com/LG507.htm

I tried a few and was impressed. I don't own one. I own three of thier USA made models.

19. Lance

Lance Member

I am a big fan of the Ibby S-470. $500.00, or you can spring for the quilted maple top for just a little more. I love having the middle pup. They sound great clean as well, and I can pull off prety darn good country stuff with one. Oh, and another plus for the Fernandez axes. They do shredding right.

20. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Member

You can usually get pick up a Kramer Pacer on ebay for under $500. Original Floyd, Seymour Duncan pickups, schaller tuners. They were marketed as American but ESP made most of the mid to late 80's pacers. I have an 87 that is my main gigging axe. Plays and sounds great. It really is pretty versitile too.

Schaf