Good fuzz for bass?

omfg51

I'm looking specifically for something that doesn't drastically cut mids like the Big Muff(s), and something that stays nice and tight for playing runs that are quick and choppy. The Swollen Pickle is cool because it has that scoop knob that allows for control over the mids, but it feels like it's much better at sounding fat and sustainy, not quite as good for quicker playing.

A couple of contenders are the Malekko Diabolik and the Earthquaker Park fuzz, but I'd like to get a few more suggestions.

MilesMitchell

I know you said you don't like muffs but electro harmonix bass big muff is probably the best fuzz I've played with a bass. Plus you can get them used for cheap. What made me like it most was the dry switch so that your clean signal is mixed in. That helped the bass not get lost in the mix when it was kicked on.

Reactions: rsm

omfg51

I know you said you don't like muffs but electro harmonix bass big muff is probably the best fuzz I've played with a bass. Plus you can get them used for cheap. What made me like it most was the dry switch so that your clean signal is mixed in. That helped the bass not get lost in the mix when it was kicked on.
I've used Big Muff variations before, and while they offer a pretty decent generic fuzz sound, I'd still like to get something else.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
Some sort of Maestro Bass Brassmaster clone. Malekko and VFE make good ones.

derekeugene

Silver Supporting Member
My first recommendation would be to snag a Boss LS2 or another blender-type pedal. Some fuzzes have a clean blend, which I think is almost essential when playing bass. Blending in your clean helps preserve your low end and makes your tone much fatter.

Muff-types with better controls so you don't lose all your mids:
Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian
Stomp Under Foot Civil Unrest
Blackout Musket
EQD Cloven Hoof (more low end than the regular hoof)

Others:
Malekko Bassmaster Ge (<--awesome awesome awesome)
Fat Fuzz Factory
Amptweaker Bass Tight Fuzz
Stone Deaf Klyptonite
JHS 4-Wheeler

tonefreak

IMO, any good bass fuzz will have a mix control. My bass playing friends have found this feature crucial.

MemorymanDL

I had a short gig as the bassplayer of a band here in Brisbane. To rig up my fuzz I ran an Earthquaker Hoof through and Xotic X-Blender.

I won't lie, I'm definitely not up there as far as bass players go, but it sounded pretty good on stage. The boost and EQ in the X-Blender sound great, and really can tailor a fuzz to the basses frequencies.

JCM 800

I like the stuff MXR has been putting out in their bass series. The overdrive, distortion and fuzz are all really good.

Phineas Ball

Fuzz
Gold Supporting Member
Black Arts' Pharaoh is really great on bass. It roars without cutting off the low end, and there are enough tonal variations within it to give you a pretty good spectrum of sounds.

I don't like it on guitar that much but it's fantastic on bass.

transmission

Smallsound Bigsound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine (TAFM), designed for bass. Has a clean blend.

The Blakemore Deus Ex Machina is an IC based Muff, also has a clean blend.

hazmat33

1 more vote for the Pharaoh.

And a new favorite is the EQD Bellows. Maybe not a fuzz but sounds huge on bass w no issues cutting thru.

deadlands

Pharaoh and Wooly Mammoth are excellent on bass. A little outside the box, but the Tech 21 VT Bass is really great for a distorted tube tone, I actually almost prefer that over a fuzz box on bass.

My wife is a bass player in a psych/indie band and she's using the DopeFX Boba Fuzz (now called Iron Lung). It sounds killer, it's a modified Wooly Mammoth. Fairly inexpensive too. http://www.dopefx.uk/product/boba-fuzz.

Trending Topics