• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Good Gawd - Terry Kath

cereal

I had thought the old story was he pointed a starter gun at his head but it was still lethal. I just read it was a 9mm. Still, I remember well when it happened. And yes, he was awesome.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
I think something was a wry with him early on. I can't listen to much of Chicago past the 2nd album and his role seemed less and the music suffered. I think it is a travesty that Chicago has continued to call it self Chicago,especially after Peter left. They should call it the music of Chicago featuring Robert Lamb and an original horn player. The first time I heard Chicago was I traveling across country to Chicago and hearing the first cuts off the CTA album. That was 1968 I believe and I was 13.

dave12

Silver Supporting Member
I think something was a wry with him early on. I can't listen to much of Chicago past the 2nd album and his role seemed less and the music suffered. I think it is a travesty that Chicago has continued to call it self Chicago,especially after Peter left. They should call it the music of Chicago featuring Robert Lamb and an original horn player. The first time I heard Chicago was I traveling across country to Chicago and hearing the first cuts off the CTA album. That was 1968 I believe and I was 13.
Not gonna disagree in that CTA was groundbreaking and it went sharply downhill after Kath, but Robert Lamm and Pankow have always been two of the premier songwriters of Chicago. I hardly think that they had to stop playing without Terry Kath or Peter Cetera (although Cetera's replacement doesn't have the range to sing his songs).

RE: Kath. It's a shame he was lost. Chicago really wasn't the same without him.

major-minor

I've been showing this off the last couple of days. For years I thought it was lost, then it turned up my parents attic. Believe me---it will not get lost again.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Just in case bearbike isn't aware, that entire concert is on da UTube.

2HBStrat

I loved Terry Kath's playing, but there's no way to know how different the career of Chicago might have been if he had lived.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
I was fortunate enough to have seen them twice with Kath in the band.
The first time was in the Coliseum at the Indiana State Fair.
It was one of the loudest concerts I've ever attended...and Kath tore it up!

S>
j

scienceguy

Gold Supporting Member
They should call it the music of Chicago featuring Robert Lamb and an original horn player. [/I]
Interestingly enough, all three original horn players - Jimmy Pankow, Lee Loughnane and Walt Parazaider - are still with the band (in addition to Bobby Lamm).

I agree that the band has never been the same since Kath's death in '78. They have become their own tribute band.

We have only one eyewitness to Kath's accident, but a suicide coverup sounds more reasonable - especially if you look at videos of Kath's progression from '70 up to the end. I guess we'll never know for sure...

RIP, Terry.

scottlr

If he had lived, we wouldn't have had to suffer through the Peter Cetera era.
:spit

Weren't Kath and Cetera in the band at the same time?
He means the era where Cetera mainly led the band vocally...mainly with ballads
Exactly. I loved the way the three of their voiced blended, almost like the same person with 3 different ranges.

I was fortunate enough to have seen them twice with Kath in the band.
The first time was in the Coliseum at the Indiana State Fair.
It was one of the loudest concerts I've ever attended...and Kath tore it up!

S>
j
I also saw them way back, during the Chicago II tour. No opening act; just 2 sets. One was the first album, the next Chicago II, all in album order and in their entirety. I could NOT have been more pleased with that show. In fact, possibly one of the best shows I ever saw. Terry was Chicago imho. His voice made the songs shine, and his guitar made a horn band a rock band. One of the most unique bands I ever heard.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
He was a monster musician, period. The heart and soul of the band according to Robert, and I concur.

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
I see a strat with a curly cable plugged into it and plugged into an amp. I don't see anything else. The lead licks come out front and the rhythm chords support the mix blending nicely. For those who know, am I correct that this is all there is? If so, I love seeing someone achieve these dynamics with just that. I'm sure it was common place back in the day.

Pax

Gold Supporting Member
Interestingly enough, all three original horn players - Jimmy Pankow, Lee Loughnane and Walt Parazaider - are still with the band (in addition to Bobby Lamm).

I agree that the band has never been the same since Kath's death in '78. They have become their own tribute band.

We have only one eyewitness to Kath's accident, but a suicide coverup sounds more reasonable - especially if you look at videos of Kath's progression from '70 up to the end. I guess we'll never know for sure...

RIP, Terry.

I wasn't very dialed in to this event at the time. I've since read an account that details it as an accident. I can see how the "suicide cover up" is plausible, but not sure what you mean by "progression". Drug addiction? Mental illness? Band infighting? Please explain.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom