Good Gotohs for a Strat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by LoopyBullet, Feb 25, 2012.

1. LoopyBullet

LoopyBullet Supporting Member

Hey everyone,

Just for my future reference, I'm wondering what everyone's experience is with vintage style oval Strat tuners. I'm a bit lost as to whether to turn to Gotoh or Kluson.

I really want to have a good set on my next build, but I'm a bit scared as far as the quality of Gotoh style tuners I've seen. I remember playing a '52 AVRI Tele in a shop once that seemed to go out of tune when I bent over two half steps. Really want to avoid that on my next build if I decide on oval tuners.

Hope to get some help here. Thanks!

2. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

Gotoh is and always has been the best bang for the buck. From my experience they exceed the quality and consistency of the current Kluson products.

3. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

I use the staggered height Gotohs on my Fender-style guitars, and can't recommend them highly enough. The quality is fantastic - very positive action and the 1:16 ratio makes for very precise tuning. Tuning issues like you described above are typically the fault of a poorly cut nut, not the tuners.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

+1

also, the tuners on the AV52 were gotohs, and that had nothing to do with it going out of tune.

tuning issues are about the setup in general and the nut slots in particular, details that few guitars have 100% right when they leave the factory.

5. adaytonguitarist

adaytonguitarist Senior Member

had some black mini gotohs on one of my strats. excellent tuners.

6. LarryN

LarryN Member

I've used Gotoh vintage repros from Allparts for years and they are very good.

7. fumbler

fumbler Member

Another +1 for the vintage Gotohs but the Klusons are also fine. Simple vintage design tuners just plain work and, unless you have a real mechanical fault in one of them, tuning problems are caused elsewhere.

8. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

I have both the locking and staggered post vintage style Gotoh's on 2 of my Strats, and can't recommend them highly enough! Great tuners.