Good Grosh deal? Retro Classic T semi hollow.

youngbill

Greetings.

I'm canvassing for opinions on this model guitar generally. I've stumbled on this one as you do when you can't really afford it but nothing ventured nothing gained.

I've been considering another tele recently but being left handed & in australia.....
I'd happily look at a used Japan fender but they don't come up often at all.

The seller is asking $2k aus / $1300 US.
It has a gotoh 1088 trem, original pickups replaced with Fralin P90s of some description. I don't know if the originals are gone.
I'm not fussed either way on the original pickups I'm sure they'd be great), the P90s would be fine too I'm sure.
I don't care about resale, I buy rarely & sell less often so this would be a keeper.
Serial number is in the low 1700s, any idea of the year?

So for comparison I've recently seen:
used 2016 lefty am pro tele $1900 - since sold
used 99 lefty us standard tele $1600 Chance of a trade for this one.
new us am pro tele is listing at $2200 (1440 US) for a lefty.

new grosh are about $5k (that's not happening), plus there's a used RH EJ for $2.5k.

So I'm thinking the Grosh for $200 less than a new us fender may be a deal.
I've never seen another lefty here but haven't really been looking.

any opinions on this model would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Kennybeeinfl

Greetings.

I'm canvassing for opinions on this model guitar generally. I've stumbled on this one as you do when you can't really afford it but nothing ventured nothing gained.

I've been considering another tele recently but being left handed & in australia.....
I'd happily look at a used Japan fender but they don't come up often at all.

The seller is asking $2k aus / $1300 US.
It has a gotoh 1088 trem, original pickups replaced with Fralin P90s of some description. I don't know if the originals are gone.
I'm not fussed either way on the original pickups I'm sure they'd be great), the P90s would be fine too I'm sure.
I don't care about resale, I buy rarely & sell less often so this would be a keeper.
Serial number is in the low 1700s, any idea of the year?

So for comparison I've recently seen:
used 2016 lefty am pro tele $1900 - since sold
used 99 lefty us standard tele $1600 Chance of a trade for this one.
new us am pro tele is listing at $2200 (1440 US) for a lefty.

new grosh are about $5k (that's not happening), plus there's a used RH EJ for $2.5k.

So I'm thinking the Grosh for $200 less than a new us fender may be a deal.
I've never seen another lefty here but haven't really been looking.

any opinions on this model would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
It sounds like a good deal to me. Would be nice to know the specs. I own 5 Grosh guitars so I'm partial but any Retro Classic for under $1500.00 is a good deal.

jb70

Silver Supporting Member
$1,300 is definitely a steal for this guitar. I would contact the seller to see if they have the spec sheet just to make sure you will like the neck size, fingerboard radius, etc.... Don makes some of the finest guitars today and they would be on par (although most likely better) with something coming out Fender's custom shop. I would jump on this if you like the specs!

youngbill

Thanks for the replies.

Do we have any other takers? I don't want to be Mr Bumpy but I did wait four days which is a long time in guitar years. :)

Trending Topics