• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Good Guitar Repair in Indianapolis Area?

My 73 Tele Thinline needs to have the frets replaced. This needs to be done right and shouldn't take 6 months. I reached out to one of the bigger shops in town asking the price because their website said to email for prices on maple necks and they never even replied.

Any suggestions? If I have to, I'll ship it to Nashville before I let someone do a crappy job.

indyrunner03

I've had good luck with Tom's Guitars in Irvington but it's usually been for simpler things like setups; I haven't needed anything more complex on my guitars yet. I know some other guys that have used Center Stage Vintage in Noblesville and I've heard good things about Guitarworks in Greenwood.

archey

Gregg Hall at Strictly Strings does great work. Also TJ Everett at Toms Guitars is really good. Both really nice guys and proficient at what they do. I will add that T.J.'s specialty is fret jobs.

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
If you are up for shipping north, I have a GREAT luthier in Northwest Indiana that excels at refretting vintage guitars. I had my 78 Tele Deluxe done by him and the result was outstanding. He's pretty timely too.

Gregg Hall at Strictly Strings does great work. Also TJ Everett at Toms Guitars is really good. Both really nice guys and proficient at what they do. I will add that T.J.'s specialty is fret jobs.
I've used TJ before. He's a great guy, but he takes forever to get anything done in my experience.

I've used TJ before. He's a great guy, but he takes forever to get anything done in my experience.

I talked to the guy that owns SDC tonight and he seems pretty knowledgeable. He has a picture of him with the Jerry Garcia Tiger guitar in his shop and we talked about that for a while. He told me it weighs like 11lbs.

Cal Webway

At IRC on the north side Mike Stover does major repairs. Great.
Drives down on Wednesdays from Muncie.
Actually he takes em to his shop, refrets, neck sets, etc.

Last edited:

Bullseye092

Silver Supporting Member
I had a very good experience with Scott @ SDC guitars when I needed a set up and fretwork on my mid 90's Gibson Les Paul Custom. Good communication, fair price, and stellar quality of work. I won't take anything I own anywhere else for anything major. It was work the 150 mile round trip drive each way.

indyrunner03

I had a very good experience with Scott @ SDC guitars when I needed a set up and fretwork on my mid 90's Gibson Les Paul Custom. Good communication, fair price, and stellar quality of work. I won't take anything I own anywhere else for anything major. It was work the 150 mile round trip drive each way.
I've had Scott @ SDC do a setup on a particularly difficult 336 I own. He's a really nice guy and he didn't do a bad job but he also didn't correct some saddle issues that were fairly apparent.

smiert spionam

Silver Supporting Member
If you are up for shipping north, I have a GREAT luthier in Northwest Indiana that excels at refretting vintage guitars. I had my 78 Tele Deluxe done by him and the result was outstanding. He's pretty timely too.
I'd be interested in knowing who -- I'm in South Bend, and have been looking for someone good.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
TJ/Tom does an outstanding job on setups. He's one of only two guys I recommend from personal experience. I've never known him to take particularly long to get a job done.

Honestly, for a re-fret for a bolt on neck, I'd be pretty tempted to just ship it.

Beng2040

Silver Supporting Member
I'd be interested in knowing who -- I'm in South Bend, and have been looking for someone good.
His name is John Lynch. He used to work out of a shop in Griffith Indiana but now works out of his house. Not sure he advertises much but I've been going to him forever. He does first rate work at reasonable prices. I think he was a licensed Fender repair man for years.

Trending Topics