Good guitar tech Toledo area

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by authen, Apr 1, 2008.

1. authen

authen Member

Hi everyone. I live near Toledo and I'm looking for a competent guitar tech to do some work on my 1977 Fender Strat hardtail. This guitar has seen a lot of play over the last 30 years or so - I've had it since 1981. The neck needs set up right, the bridge and saddles need cleaned and adjusted and I want to swap out the standard pups for maybe some Fat 50s or something and put in a 5 way switch (it only has a 3 way for some reason)...any help?

Thanks tons...John

2. dave s

dave s Member

Duff,

is that you? I know a couple of players in Toledo that are pretty selective about who works on guitars. I'll see if I can get you a name.

dave aftermath

3. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Hey John, I used to live in Toledo for over 20 years, so maybe I can help. Now that Peeler is leaving, guys like Dan and Jeff Williams are both great at set ups and might be worth getting there number. Jeff has owned many vintage instruments, as well as some really killer boutique pieces, so he would be good to your baby.

4. Monroe

Monroe Guest

I live in Monroe, and I find it's worth it to drive to Ferndale and have Mike Koontz do all my work. He's one of the best, and has a reasonable turnaround time. PM me if you need info.

5. SFK

SFK Member

Koontz is fantasic and where I go for the in depth stuff.

Jeff Williams is a great set up/electronics guy as is Fred at Durdels music.

6. Monroe

Monroe Guest

I should clarify, that I too use Koontz for "in depth" work... which to me means anything that involves a file. I do my own setups/electronics, etc.

7. David Collins

David Collins Member

I'll start with a disclaimer that I am not here at the forum trying to hawk business - I've got more than enough to keep me busy as it is.

That said, I do get a lot of business from the Toledo area and even down toward Columbus. I get the feeling there's just not many choices down there for serious work. I had no idea Peeler's was closing, but they used to refer a fair amount of work to a shop way up in Berkley Mi and to my shop in Ann Arbor. Mike Koontz is certainly an excellent choice, as well as Tom Pellerito, though I don't know how many new clients he's taking right now. Of course all those options are still SE Michigan, but I don't know of many options any closer. I remember getting a lot of work from Toledo when I was working with Elderly's up in Lansing even, so there must be a bit of a void in repair down there.