Good HB and noiseless single coils?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Guys,

Any thoughts on a humbucker replacement for the stock Fender Diamondback? Duncan Pearly Gates? Dimarzio Andy Timmons or Air Zone?

I also want to replace the single coil pickups on my American Standard strat with noiseless pickups. Right now it has the Fender Diamondback humbucker which I like a lot and the stock Fender Fat 50s which have the standard single coil hum and buzz issues, but only when playing with gain and when my hands are touching the strings.

I don't want traditional single coil output. I like medium to hot output.

Maybe in a gig scenario, the noise is a none issue and we may not notice this. However, if I go the noiseless route, any suggestions for a good middle and neck single for a hard rock guy like myself?

The middle pickup must also work well in the middle position using the bridge and middle together.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
I've got a DiMarzio Area 67 and Area 58 in my superstrat, neck and middle, respectively, and I think they sound fantastic. They're dead quiet. You don't realize how quiet they are until switch back to standard singles and think, "Holy cow, how did I live with all this noise?" I've got another strat with SD SSL-1s, and they're much noisier by comparison.

DiMarzio's Injectors (Paul Gilbert model) is a version of the Area pickup design with higher output, I believe.

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, I should add that I haven't tried any other noiseless p'ups either. I know there are tons of them out there. The Areas tend to get pretty consistently good reviews, though.

coolhandluc

The Area pickups are GREAT. I can't recommend them enough. Plus they're passive, which is a real plus. If you want super smooth like Gilmour or Clapton, the Fender Noiseless sound good. But that battery always bugs me.

6Tones

Dimarzio Virtual Vintages are excellent .
If you want more traditional output/twang 'the Area models are better ,but for more output wallop ! Id go with the VVblues ,54' and Heavyblues

bobwl

I also have the Dimarzio Areas as well, and the replicate the sound of standard start pickups without the buzz those are some of the best out there.

soybean

Just played a guitar with Zexcoil pickups (underwound model). It sounded amazing; all the chime and sparkle of vintage Strat pickups, but dead quiet.

Capador

I don't mean to be the negative nelly, but I didn't care for the Dimarzio Areas at all. They did a decent job but really lost the smokey magic of a good single coil. I put them head to head with true single coils and they felt flat and lifeless to me. I'm afraid that I can't be constructive and suggest a better sounding silent single coil because I don't know. I too was also told, overwhelmingly to go with the Areas, so I figured that was the best out there and just went back to true single coils.

It might not be an issue if you play hard rock. I'm coming from a blues/jazz/country standpoint....you may also find that live, it becomes a non-issue.

There's always the Suhr silent single coil system too.

JRC4558Dude

The Area pickups are GREAT. I can't recommend them enough. Plus they're passive, which is a real plus. If you want super smooth like Gilmour or Clapton, the Fender Noiseless sound good. But that battery always bugs me.
Fender Noiseless pickups are passive, too. The Clapton Strat comes with the mid boost circuit, which requires the 9v battery, but the pickups themselves are passive.

Both the Fender Vintage Noiseless and Dimarzio Areas are a good low cost choice. I recently removed a set of Areas from the Strat that I had them in, but I would still recommend them. Very good approximation of a single coil, and they are dead quiet.

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
If you're a hard rock guy, just stay on the bridge pickup. Then when you don't wanna play hard rock guy, you always have the single coil sounds to check out.
But I think the idea of hard rock is to stay on that bridge pickup and stop trying to think up excuses for taking apart your guitar.
;)

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a DiMarzio Area 67 and Area 58 in my superstrat, neck and middle, respectively, and I think they sound fantastic. They're dead quiet. You don't realize how quiet they are until switch back to standard singles and think, "Holy cow, how did I live with all this noise?" I've got another strat with SD SSL-1s, and they're much noisier by comparison.

DiMarzio's Injectors (Paul Gilbert model) is a version of the Area pickup design with higher output, I believe.
I thought the 54 Pros could be cool....or the Andy Timmons set!

Mindcrime

Silver Supporting Member
I use DiMarzio area pickups in one of my EBMM Silhouette Specials.

Area 61 - (bridge)
Area 58 - (middle & neck)

Same pickup selection as Lincoln Brewster uses. For me...totally satisfying. Absolute quiet & stellar tone !

Trending Topics