Good home practice Rig for bedroom levels?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarguru666, Mar 2, 2012.

1. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

Hi guys,

I'm moving my main rig into a private rehearsal space to be kept and I need a small fairly quiet home practice rig just to keep me ticking over. I mostly play metal (main amp is a Peavey 6534+) What would you's recommend? I'm open to moddlers etc but really wouldn't like to spend more than £250/£300.
    Thanks!

2. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

You should look at Fender Mustang or Line 6 Spyder imho. Avoid the Peavey Vypr.

3. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

I do have speakers for my home pc but they are far from studio quality, was considering a line 6 pod xt or x3 if i can get a good price,

4. Pietro

Either would work well, but look for a used HD, too. They are light years ahead of the XT/X3 sound engine.

5. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

Is there a major difference between the hd400 and hd500?

6. GSHARP

GSHARP Member

Give a try to Guitar Rig. I use it like this: Presonus FIrebox - Laptop - Headphones

You can jam all night without having the police knocking at your door. Or disturb the wife/kids.

I live alone and I prefer to use Guitar Rig to any modeler or small amp. Hard to beat if you wanna improve your chops any time of the day/night.

7. Pietro

YES!

The 500 can do more FX (slightly) more at the same time, and can do any effect in any order, even parallel with two different amps at the same time (although you will not be able to do any chain imaginable, as multiple reverbs, for instance, really tax processor power), and is probably more convoluted to program (especially on the unit, imho). The 500 also has a loop you can put anywhere and dual inputs (including a mike input). It can process the two channels of the JTV Variax guitars independently (which is cool for some things).

I need what the 500 offers, but you might not. If you can swing the 500, though, do it...

8. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

I find a good Guitar Tube Preamp into Cab IRs or the Cab IRs of a Modeler are pretty hard to beat.

If you already have a good Guitar Amp- you can load it down( load box /attenuator ) and do the same thing.

Seems like Tubes with a digital Cab IR- do not sound digital- sounds like the Tubes, IMO.

And of course Axe FX even with no tubes.....

9. Ryan

Ryan Member

10. TB72

TB72 Member

I'm really digging the Peavey/Agile Ampkit app for ipad/itouch. It gets a lot of use on the road (airports, hotels, backstage, etc.) and at home (when the wife and child are asleep).

It's along the same lines as the i-rig. When I A/B'd the two, I preferred the sound of the Peavey. It might be of particular interest to you, since the 6534+ is one of the amp models. Like the i-rig, you buy the adapter for your guitar, and then purchase the software through itunes.

Later...

11. Couloirman

Couloirman Member

I am in love with my Boss eband JS-8. it is not just a toy. It has made practicing so much more fun. Being able to put in any mp3, pull out the guitar part so it is just the backing and jam along myself at any tempo is amazing. I have lost a lot of sleep with this little thing and no one in my house hates me for it when Im jamming at 3am on a Tuesday night. I have no affiliation, Im just in love with this little guy.

12. mannish

mannish Member

I highly recommend A roland cube from mini, 20 or 30.

I use the mini for home practice - It's perfect for me at home

13. cratz2

cratz2 Member

For high gain tones at low volumes, I've never met a tube amp I'd put on par with a $50 used POD 2.0 through pretty much anything including an amp, a powered monitor or half decent PC speakers though I certainly look forward to the THR.

14. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Crate V18 and their Palomino counterparts are cheap here and very serviceable practice amps that can also be used for gigging.

Another option I like is a Trademark 30 from Tech 21.

I have a Roland mini cube and it sounds too much like a toy to me.

15. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Tech 21 has a LOT of great reviews...don't just take my word for it. Amazing for home practice.

16. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

maybe a 5w Blackstar?

17. Couloirman

Couloirman Member

The HT-1r is plenty loud for the bedroom and sounds amazing to my ears. The 5 watter was way too loud, IMHO, for a bedroom setup but YMMV.

18. Dale

Dale Member

I like my Mico Spyder (which is also battery powered). CD in, Headphones and you can carry it out to the deck and play.

19. guitarguru666

guitarguru666 Member

One question, with the pod hd500 can you use custom IR's? If I could use it for some demoing then it could swing it for the pod.

20. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

No you cannot :(

That said, my HD500 is the best at home, limited volume, practice tone I've ever had. It also is extremely versatile for recording to playing live to playing with an amp. I can record something late at night and then use it in the FX loop of my Frenzel for delay, reverb, and looper.

The HD500 compared to the 300/400 allows for more routing options and has a few more FX. If you really like to control your signal and like having lots of options then the HD500 is really the way to go. If you prefer a simple setup with good baseline amp tones and a few effects then the 300/400 will be more than enough.