Good Hybrid Fuzz Faces and Tonebenders

Mooncusser

Well...what are they and what do they go around for?
Hi mahler,

The hybrids are fuzzes that incorporate GE AND SI into one pedal in one configuration or another. That way you have both GE and SI at your disposal.
They range greatly in price btw....

martinsmith06

DAM Drag'n'Fly comes to mind.. Also, I believe the Retroman Sybil can do germ, si, or both. The good old FoxRox CC2 had a hybrid circuit in it's FuzzFoot (fuzz face) circuit... that was probably my favorite hybrid that I've played.

SonicVI

I thought the vexter was germ only?
It has three trannies, the first is silicon and the second two are germanium. You could argue the silicon is just boosting, not part of the fuzzing, but it still has both in there.

JLee

Silver Supporting Member
The Hartman SFZ has separate germanium and silicon Fuzz Face circuits that can be run simultaneously.

cj_wattage

The Hartman SFZ has separate germanium and silicon Fuzz Face circuits that can be run simultaneously.
That's a cool idea.

About a year ago, I built a Fuzz Face type circuit, but I used a pair of 3pdt toggle switches to swap out the transistors between silicon and germanium. So you could do: Ge/Ge - Si/Ge - Si/Si - Si/Ge. You have to tweak the bias a bit when switching out the transistors, of course, but it was kinda cool to play with. So if you wanted that germanium tone when recording or whatever, you could have that, and when you needed absolute reliability, that was there too.

I have no idea why something like that isn't incorporated into a boutique pedal of some sort. Unless, of course, it already has been done and I just don't know about it (which is entirely possible given that there are a several hundred boutique brands at the moment).

Prof.Fuzz

Tonefactor/Mojo Hand Huckleberry is a hybrid Fuzz Face type box.
Earthquaker Devices Tone Reaper v. 2 is a hybrid Tonebender box.

Both quality builds.

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
The McFuzz is an excellent hybrid. So much so, I sold my Drag 'n Fly.
Ditto !!!

and his (PedalworX - Bob McBroom) Bender Over Under is a killin Tone Bender with a bias control that goes way off typical bender acreage....

Trending Topics