Good IEMS that allow stage bleed?

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I'm committed to start using my IEMS again. For several gigs I skipped them and had an amp backline and just monitored off the mains for background vocals and the few songs I sing lead on, figuring that would be "ok". So last gig the first set I did not use IEMS and because my amp was on the ground hitting my calves I was unhappy with the tones.
Second set I finally used the IEMS in one ear and it was great.
I know this is a terrible way to use IEMS, but I like to have some backline vibe happening and I do need to easily converse QUICKLY with bandmates on changes between songs.
I use the Shure SE215's which came with my PSM300. The tone is "passable" at best, but a hell of a lot better then wedges, etc.
I think I recall and IEM thread where people mentioned a decent set that does not actually close off your ear canal so you can still get ambient sound quite easily?
I'm NOT going super expensive because the 215's suffice and I'm not doing "ambient"mics. We aren't playing Madison Square Garden LOL... pretty small to medium sized clubs.
Opinions?

tonyhay

Gold Supporting Member
Westone AM Pro are ones which allow passive ambience. Another option is Sensaphonics, which have an option with an active ambient sound system.

Last edited:

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
ambient mic is actually really easy to do and even just using 1-2 sm57s will do the trick in a pinch. imo IEMs allowing bleed or taking one ear out during performance defeats the purpose of IEMs and depending on stage volume its actually kind of dangerous. When the IEMs dont seal well you end up cranking them much louder and on a loud stage you have a very distorted perception of volume so you can really do some damage to your hearing.

if stage volumes are manageable and you feel like you're losing out on a lot with IEMs I would maybe just try switching back to wedges. but if it gets loud you really ought to try to get used to IEMs.

Boeing bloke

Another vote for AM pros.

I disagree about how it defeats the purpose. I think it serves a purpose.

If the whole band is on an IEM setup then yes, I agree about it defeating the purpose. But in other cases, like only part of the band being on IEM like I was as a vocalist, then it gives you some noise reduction (12db) and not having to remove an earpiece to talk to the rest of the band. Yet allows you to hear yourself sing quite clearly.

A less than perfect solution, but better than having to listen to screaming monitors and still give you some hearing protection. Better than my old method of musicians earplugs and loud monitors.

Trending Topics