• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Good jazz books

mmatijevic

Hi, I was wondering do you have some recommendations for jazz guitar books with good theory and nice voicings, songs, CD examples, whatever, something you liked and you think it's worth of buying! :)

spencerbk

Definitely not a "guitar" book - but I've learned a ton from Mark Levine's "the Jazz Theory Book". Also no CD, but lots of recommended recordings and transcribed licks to illustrate what he's talking about ...

countandduke

Frank Gambale Technique books I and II.
+1 for any Don Mock books...
Steve Kahn's Chord Khancepts and Pentatonic Kahncepts or something similar.

Chris

Lots of good play-a-long books at www.jazzbooks.com

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
For technique, there's not many better than TGPs own Jack Zucker's "Sheets of Sound".

dewey decibel

Definitely not a "guitar" book - but I've learned a ton from Mark Levine's "the Jazz Theory Book". Also no CD, but lots of recommended recordings and transcribed licks to illustrate what he's talking about ...

+1

I like this book very much, partially because it isn't guitar oriented.

JJK

I have the Hal Leonard Jazz Book for guitar and it's quite good. I like it alot.

TonyV

I have the Hal Leonard Jazz Book for guitar and it's quite good. I like it alot.
If you are looking for an all in one book/cd, this is a good recommendation as it has actual tunes and covers comping and soloing. I believe some theory is in there too.

Ive been going through this the last few weeks. Really really good.

I have the Don Mock stuff too and its really good as well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom