Good little digital 4 or 8 track

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by le_plastique, Feb 2, 2006.

1. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

Hello, I'm new to this recording stuff, I was planning on getting a computer setup but the way things have been going lately I'll have to hold off. Anywho, can anyone recommend a good 4 track or maybe even an 8 track somewhere around 300 that is pretty nifty? Something with an internal hard drive would be ideal. Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

2. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

The new Boss BR-900CD is basically what you want - 8 tracks, CD burner - its a bit more than 300 bucks though. If you're serious about looking into it or equivalent, email me at antonp@westlakepro.com and i can hook you up :D

3. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

I wouldnt recommend the tascam - it has no CD burner, and doesnt sound all that great. But YMMV.

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

For $599 street that have a version with both digital effects and a CD burner.

As for the sound quality, I always wondered why they dumbed down their 8-track to 16-bit. I've been working with a 24-bit 788 for years and the sound quality is excellent. Eight tracks is really enough for me, but I do need the extra drive capacity and features of the DP-01. On the other hand, I'm not willing to give up the sound quality of the 788. I don't need a 24 track, but I'll probably end up getting the 2488 just to stay 24 bit.

And for the original poster, I'd seriously look at a used Tascam 788 and burner. You can pick them up for next to nothing and the sound quality is superb.

5. flicker180

flicker180 Member

6. jrm

jrm Member

I used to record on my zoom MRS-4. it's a nice easy to use little four track digiatl recorder. Its got some good effects and is really easy to use. It uses media cards to record to, so I was generally recording my songs onto them and then using zooms converer software to get it onto my computer from the media cards.... Now that I think about it, I could have just transfered over through the direct outs... Anyways, good little investment and though I loved it, I'm looking to sell it now that I have pro-tools.

7. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I had a Boss BR-8 that was very easy to use, now discont'd --- am thinking of going to a BR-1200 or BR-1600 even though it may be overkill, so am wondering about your thoughts. I will mostly record at home w/ probably just me, rarely a live band, but after being frustrated w/ only 2 simult. inputs the BR-1600's 8 simultaneous inputs really is beckoning --- one of those things that will be rarely used but when you want it, remote as that might be, you need it.

Any thoughts on the best bang-for-buck ratio for the BR-900, BR-1200 and BR-1600? Any of them will do more than I need for basic recording but those 8 inputs are calling my name.

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Jon

8. Misericordiam

Misericordiam Member

Anyone know anything about the new Fostex 8 tracks with the 40 gig hd? For $400 bucks it looks pretty decent, good number of inputs including 4 xlrs and it just seems like the best in the price range. Anyone know if they are any good?

9. TNO

TNO Member

I had the MR-8 and now own the Tascam DP-01. The Tascam slays the Fostex. Easy to use-it's got KNOBS. The preamps on the Fostex are so bad that it doesn't matter it has four XLRs. Check ebay for low prices NIB.

10. Misericordiam

Misericordiam Member

Thanks for the input, how many inputs does the tascam have? My only concern about it is that it won't have enough inputs to mic the drum set but other than that it looks sweet.

11. sears

sears Member

If you look hard enough you will find the 788 new, under warranty. Google "Tascam 788" and start calling around. You might find stores on page 50 of the search. Their posted prices will be stupid high but offer 20% of the original retail price of $1150 and they'll probably all come back with 30%. Since they will all have the same price ($330 is my guess) they will be competing on condition, non-floor model, etc.

I used this strategy recently with a machine of similar vintage. I ended up buying used because in my case, 30% was still too much.

12. TNO

TNO Member

The DP-01 only records two tracks at a time but the ease of use and not having to hunt through menus makes it worth it to me.

13. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I find it useful as a scratch pad. Dunno whether I'd really want to use it for "serious" recording, though.

It's hard to find much that competes in that price range. Got mine as a ZZounds blem for ~269. It would be nice to have XLR inputs but I mostly use it with DI stuff (e.g., POD) so I haven't had much of a reason to hook it up to my outboard mic pre.