Good luck with V30 and G12H30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thesooze, Feb 21, 2008.

1. thesooze

thesooze Member

Has anyone had good/bad experience with a cab mixing a

Celestion V30 and a
    Celestion G12H30?

I've been researching v30s for fear of their spikey/bitey mids... does mixing it with a G12H30 help to smooth this out?

2. radcliff

radcliff Member

I believe this is the Matchless combo, it's what's in my Matchless cab. Dr. Z also uses this combo.

3. stump

stump Member

I've got an Avatar 212 open back with these speakers and find that it sounds great with all of my amps-THD Flexi, Uni, Marshall TSL, Genz Benz Black Pearl. The G12H definitly balances the V30 and as they break in they get better. I've tried 2 V30s and 3 G12H in the cab and prefer the mix.

4. Standard 64

Standard 64 Member

Look on Avatar cabs website,this is one of their main cabs.Look on harmony central.com for reviews on it.I have one and personally love it.

5. mds

mds Member

This has become a standard of sorts...I haven't experimented with combinations much, but my ZBest is a ridiculously good sounding cab and has that combo...

6. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Here is a video I did with a v30 and G12H30: The V30 is in the open back combo cab and the G12H30 is below, in the closed back cab.

They are both 8 ohm speakers running parallel off a matched, 4 ohm output transformer tap. Both speakers have almost the same sensitivity.

Goto http://www.jettergear.com/sounds.cfm - Scroll down to "Videos", then to "Gain Stage Blue". Mine is the first video in that section. The thumbnail looks like this:

[​IMG]

IMHO, the two speakers work well with this amp. The V30 has a midrange hump, while the G12H30 is more crisp and has a sweet top end slice.

7. joel98z

joel98z Member

Sounds really good! I may look into a v30 & G12h30 for my classic 50.

8. freaksho

freaksho Member

that's what i have in my 2x12. it seems to cover all frequencies well. i have run it with a 2204 and a Shiva with great success.

i have a 1x12 Shiva CL80 cab too. i have experimented with adding that into the mix but i must say i think i like the balance of the 2x12 alone better. i'm probably just gonna sell off the 1x12, but i want to try it out some more before i decide for sure.

fyi: i play bluesy rock, hard rock & indie rock. no metal.

9. lo.fi.labs

lo.fi.labs Member

I used a V30 and G12H30 in a '66 Pro Reverb for quite a while, and they made for an excellent combination - probably the best combination I've used in a 2x12 setup. I picked it up after playing through a pal's Matchless. Btw, mine were both older made in England speakers - I can't speak either way to the quality of the current batch of Chinese made speakers.

10. nek

nek Member

I have a V30 and an H30 in a Z Best cabinet. What a combination! Ran them for years in parallel. Recently switched to series and like them even better!

11. OrangeAD30TC

OrangeAD30TC The venerable H.W.

I had two v30s in my orang combo for a couple of years and on a whim I tossed a G12h30 into there. The V30s were midrangy and thats it. Thats not a bad thing. It really sat in the mix well and it gave me that in your face overdrive. Since putting the g12h30 and V30 combo. It is more versatile. The mid content is still there but so is the highs and low. its a sophisticated sound. Its not as vintagy because you are hearin a fuller spectrum. I highly recommend. Everything is better.

Now I wonder what a Blue would sound like?

12. kruts

kruts Member

What would be better matched together?

1) G12H30 + V30

or

2) greenback + V30

Thanks!

13. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW
    Have tried both. G12h30 combo is much crisper while hitting the mids, highs and lows well. With the V30/Greenback combo, there was a very narrow range of settings on my amp that worked.

14. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well how about a G12H-30 and G12-65? Now thats a combination I love! Its a different take on the now "standard" V30/G12H-30 combo. The G12H-30 and G12-65 play nicely together.Bob

15. Mr-Punk

Mr-Punk Member

I have personal experience with a Classic 50 and the v30 and g12h30. i have a classic50 410. I pluged the amp into my 212 cab with both and it sounded really good. Nice and punchy with alot more chunk to it than the stock 410s or 115.

Although that 212 cab didn't sound as good as the stock jcm 800 412 with g12-65s cab with my single channel 800, was too bright, maybe the v30. It is a midrangy and bright speaker. when I mic my 212 cab I always mic the g12h30 it is warmer and more bassy.

Try them out if you don't like them they still have good resale value.

16. jaimz

jaimz Member

I have a 212 cab with vintage 30s that i have been trying to gt a bit more range and growl out of. I just purchased a g12h so I can try this combination. cant wait to hear how it sounds.

I also have a g12m on the way. Has anybody tried combining a g12h and a g12m in a 212? just wondering what that sounds like.

17. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

IMO a 1265/g12h combo sounds better than the v30/g12h combo.

18. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i had an avatar cabinet with the v30/g12h combo and my tophat super deluxe has a v30/g12h combo.

i haven't tried a lot of other mis-match combinations but i really like the sound i'm getting from this particular combo. i have a vox AC30TB w/ blues on the way so i can't wait to compare the two...

19. geetarman

geetarman Supporting Member

I have two Bogner cabs with the V30/H30 mix and love them for their versatility and smoothness great combo IMO.

20. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have 2 2x12 cabinets. One is a Guytron closed back and the other the oval shape Avatar. I have a V30 clone (warehouse) and Anniversary in the Avater cab. Just for kicks I decided to try it in the Guytron cabinet, I didn't like it. Seemed to have better balance in the open back cabinet, don't know why but I do know Matchless had/has a similar cabinet design for their 2x12's.