Good Marshall in a Box type pedal for Two Rock......

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lonetone483, Mar 20, 2015.

1. lonetone483

lonetone483 Member

Hey guys I'm currently using my Two Rock Studio Pro 35 head and 1x12 cab with Celestion Creamback 75 as my main gigging amp. I'm searching for a really good Marshall In A Box type pedal that can compliment the amp well. I'm currently using a XTS Atomic Overdrive for these duties but I just can't seem to dial it in right no matter what I do. It sounds woofy and saggy where I like the bass and if I lower it then it sounds to thin so I back off the treble but then I get lost in the mix. The pedal sounds fantastic on its own but when the band kicks in it just leaves me disappointed. What are you guys using and if you have this same amp I would like to hear what your using and why. Thanks

2. renoman_89502

renoman_89502 Member

Radial Tonebone Plexitube

3. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

Eric Gales uses a Brute drive with his two rock. I use one with my jcm 800 and it sounds very good!

4. crunchman

crunchman Member

New Wampler plexi-drive deluxe, pricey but nice. Maybe just a Marvel drive ??

5. Garik Alengos

Garik Alengos Member

try Plexitone by Carl Martin

6. hardys

hardys Member

What model of Marshall sound are you looking for? Plexi, JCM800, etc.??

If you're looking for JCM800 to hot rodded JCM800 tone, JHS Angry Charlie screams. I recently bought an Angry Charlie and a Wampler Plextortion and compared them side by side. The Wampler was just mehhh..not very exciting and kinda flat. The Angry Charlie just had some extra mojo that made me smile the minute I turned it on and I wanted to keep playing it. Even my band thought the same thing at rehearsal and greatly preferred the JHS. There is a Youtube video that compares those two pedals side by side. The sound pretty close in the video, but there's a huge difference in real life.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  7. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

Carl Martin Plexitone, Rumble FX Marvel Drive, Wampler Plextortion.
    All great options.

8. jordane93

jordane93 Member

9. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I have the Catalinbread DLS III and the Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe. And both are keepers. You should be able to pick either up here in the emporium for a price that will let you try them with your rig and not be out much if you decide you don't like them. ;) Oh and the "Regular" Plexi Drive is good too - it's just the Deluxe without the Tubescreamer and active EQ. ;)

10. crunchman

crunchman Member

11. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I use a Marshall...either a JTM45 (BBRI) or a '69 1987. You'll never get a Two Rock to sound like a Marshall...

12. blues bird

blues bird Supporting Member

This. A Two Rock sounds like a Two Rock...

13. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

Rothwell hellbender or switchblade

14. Trobbins3

Trobbins3 Silver Supporting Member

This or an original Plexi Drive will get you pretty close to what you want to hear without using an amp switcher.

15. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Check out my recent MIAB thread for tons of options. Just depends kn the type of marshall youre looking for. I settled on a 6 degress R3 rat style pedal to cover modded marshall gainy sounds

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  16. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Recently got a weehbo jcm drive ltd. unbelievable. Flexible. Does 70s-80s Marshall in spades. Get it while the euro is low( or rather while it cost less usd to be clear lol)

17. rocknrob

rocknrob Member

Catalinbread DLS mkIII is the ultimate Plexi in a pedal for me. Marvel drive , SL drive , Plexi drive and plextortion all sound too 'high gain' to my ears. I really wanted to go for a low gain Marshall sound. Plus you can always boost it with an overdrive/boost to get more gain. And if you're on a budget I would say the EHX OD Glove. Not as good as the pedals listed above but it kinda gets you the Marshall vibe , good enough for the price I would say.

18. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

Better yet, I would pick up a used DLS mkii.

19. AustinR9Powers

AustinR9Powers Member

I use a Greenhouse No Brainer I got from Oz with my Two Rocks.
    I have a Wampler Pinnacle that gets an EVH Brown with the TRs.
    BOTH can take you to Plexi and 800 and beyond.
    I have a Topaz and Bionyx

20. lonetone483

lonetone483 Member

Oz and the guys at Austin Guitar House are great. I have bought so many pedals there. I should give them a call and see what they think or reccomend. The new Plexidrive Deluxe looks super cool. I kind of want a more hot rod did JCM 800 kind of tone. I need to cover 80's, 90's and some modern type tones with it. Like I said in my first post the XTS Atomic sounds great but a little more aggressive tone would be nice.