Good mic for a loud room?? (Tascam DR1 clip!)

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Bo Faulkner, May 17, 2008.

1. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I just got the Tascam DR1 and down the road I want to get a good mic to record rehearsals and live shows.. Guy at Guitar Center was mentioning a Stereo mic that would work great for this (need high SPL) Any suggestions? So far I am still figuring out positioning and level settings and the internals are not too bad but of course the tweaker in me is already thinking of how much better a good mic would be!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6551304

Here is a clip of the internals with the level control set to auto with a really loud 71' Marshall 50 watter (DR1 about 6 feet away)

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

grab a 57, a Sennhieser e609 or an Audix I5, All under $100.00

3. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I have a 57 somewhere.. Will that give a good representation of the whole room? I had always assumed it had a tight pattern. I'll give it a try!

:band

4. andyc

andyc Member

You are looking to have stereo recording? There are lots of good stereo mics with high SPL capability, but many of them cost more than the Tascam recorder.

The SM-57 is a directional mic. Depending on placement you'll get good room feel, but it's not omni-directional. It's also not stereo of course, so for stereo recording you'd need two of them, plus adapters, etc.

You might consider something like this, which has a fairly high SPL level, and switchable pads for varying loudness environments. Stereo, not terribly expensive, etc.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-990STEREO-Large-Diaphragm-Stereo-Condenser-Mic?sku=271094

5. 6789

6789 Member

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Well, yes, the mics I suggested are used primarily for close mic'ing. But as Andy mentions, a great mic for ambient room mic'ing is most likely gonna cost more than the recorder! Also, room mics can be used in conjunction with a close 57 but it's really tough to have just a room mic sound good unless it's a great mic and a great room.

A solution if you want to catch your room sound along with a 57 would be a LDC. (Large diphram Condenser), again, as Andy suggested. Those usually require 48volt phantom power. If the recorder doesn't have phantom power, most preamps do. Another great budget condenser is the Studio Projects B-1. It's an exellent all purpose LDC and can work well as an ambient room mic along with an SM57 or other close mic. Of coarse there are many other mics and types that will work. Hope that helps.

Basically, you've asked the question many have asked... "How do I get the recording to sound like what I hear in the room?" It's not easy!!

7. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

The AT AT822 is an amazing mic for what you speak of. I'm usually not a fan of AT mics and a bit of a vintage mic snob (I have a pro studio) but I've heard this mic turn in many stellar live performances over the years. I'm not sure if Audio Technica still makes it but they can usually be had on Ebay for $100 or under. The 57 is good for many hi-sound pressure applications but will not capture the space that you are looking for. Try the AT822, I think you will be pleased, especially for the cost.

8. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Lots of good info in this thread. Thanks! The AT mic was mentioned as a good choice by one of the guys where I bought the DR1.. I dont mind spending (not looking to get too crazy!) I am looking for the best sound possible along with the ease of the pocket sized DR1.

9. isfahani

isfahani Member

+ 1 on the AT822, got mine for $100 off of ebay last year - best mic deal yet.

10. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

Here is a clip after I updated the software.. It now has a lower gain setting which I think works ALOT better with loud source. Another clip of my Marshall set the same as first clip (maybe even louder)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6571362

Level seems louder than first clip and much less clipping. I kept the limiter off . Very worthwhile update from tascam