good 'mini' overdrive pedal for lead guitar all by itself

lespaulreedsmith

Silver Supporting Member
need a small footprint (mini) overdrive pedal (into a clean amp) to be used for a singing rock/hard rock sustain lead sound all by itself without being stacked with something else...
I've been demoing a few and have a favorite but the criteria needs to be that it's not stacked, and it needs enough drive to have a good thick lead and solo sound when kicked on all by itself into a clean amp...
What's your mini lead pedal faves for this?

lespaulreedsmith

Silver Supporting Member
i like my red dirt mini in crunch mode a LOT
So does the Red Dirt have enough gain on tap as a stand alone lead pedal?
Would a mini tube screamer style pedal get close to the Red Dirt as a stand alone lead pedal?
Maybe a Mooer Green Mile? Ibanez mini TS? Is there another TS mini style I haven't listed? Or am I barking up the wrong tree...

mattymel

+1 on the SL Drive. I much prefer the super bass mode using the internal dip switch. Fattens up the low end substantially. Still prefer it stacked with my Archer boosting, but it's still a cool OD pedal, especially for bedroom jams with just one pedal when you don't want to bust out the whole pedal board.

ak301

Another SL Drive vote, especially when run with an 18v doubler.

Lots of pedal in that small box

transmission

As many have suggested, a lot of the Mooer clones will get you there, Black Secret (Rat), Cruncher (Crunch Box).

Already been suggested, but I would try to go for the Lumpy's Lemon Drop/ZII Mini or the Albion Mini. However, it seems Lumpy's have stopped building at the moment. I have a full sized Lemon Drop, great pedal, but would love a mini too. The Mini Albion is a fantastic Super Lead in a box (there's one on eBay, it is mine, not spamming I promise, it's already bid up to a good price).

OotMagroot

SL Drive
mini Albion
Mooer Solo
Mooer Cruncher
Mooer Black Secret
Xvive Golden Brownie

I have the mini Red Dirt and the mini TS. The Red Dirt has a distortion mode, but it's not as high gain as the name might suggest. The RD also has a crunch mode that is good for rhythm, but IMO won't do the singing lead thing.

Buzzard Luck

The One Control 'Brown Distortion' is an excellent high quality distortion pedal in the small footprint realm. I've had it and an SL drive at the same time, and the One Control pedal remains. It's got a very dynamic response, but cranked Up offers plenty of rich 'brown' sustain,crunch, and clarity.

Trending Topics